Tattoos in the Dress Code Policy

We are revising our dress code policy to include tattoos and visible body piercings.

Does anyone have a sample of how you have written in tattoos - especially visible ones. We do not permit visible tattoos (we're a conservative funeral insurance company), but we have an employee who wears only dresses or skirts for religious reasons and has a tattoo on the ankle, which can be clearly seen. We need a suggestion on how to handle this without discriminating against the other employees!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Socks or a band aid large enough to cover. Make-up will rub off so I wouldn't suggest that.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • >We are revising our dress code policy to include tattoos and visible
    >body piercings.
    >
    >Does anyone have a sample of how you have written in tattoos -
    >especially visible ones. We do not permit visible tattoos (we're a
    >conservative funeral insurance company), but we have an employee who
    >wears only dresses or skirts for religious reasons and has a tattoo on
    >the ankle, which can be clearly seen. We need a suggestion on how to
    >handle this without discriminating against the other employees!

I agree that socks or a bandaid will work and should be required.

Gary D. Jiles
    Arkansas Employement Law Letter Editor
    [email]gdj@jlj.com[/email]

• Here is some sample language on tattoos: While tattoos are a matter of personal choice, management has made the decision that all tattoos will be covered while performing the duties of your job at (COMPANY NAME).

Here is some sample language on piercing: While body piercing is a matter of personal choice, management has made the decision that public display of body piercing is only acceptable for the ears. In addition, no more than two earrings per ear may be worn while performing the duties of your job at (COMPANY NAME).

For the record, both policies apply regardless of gender. We are a financial institution and they have worked well for us. I keep my own ankle tattoo covered and have no problem advising employees how they may do the same -- I found this great flesh colored "tape" at a Walmart/KMart type of store that is wonderful for this. I understand there are maintainers that can be worn in piercings so they don't grow shut but are clear or flesh colored so not visible to the public.

Hope this helps.
  • As a small financial institution we are fairly strict. Our policy includes the following:

Excessive Jewelry, Body Piercing and Tattoos:
    The following items are not allowed: more than two earrings in one ear; excessive length of earrings; body rings of any kind with the exception of female earrings and no more than one stud earing on each ear for men. All jewelry should be limited and in professional business taste. Tattoos should not be exposed.

• I'm trying to think of a religion that allows only skirts but also allows tatoos and body piercing. It escapes me.
  • I know. I am the same thought!
    We were told the tattoos came before the religion.

Thank you everyone for your input. You have given me some great suggestions that I can back-up with what other Companies are doing.