rehire policy

I am interested if anyone has a rehire policy for employees. For example, if someone comes back to work under a year - do you reinstate tenure? What about insurance, do you waive the 90 days or do they still have to complete a 90-day waiting period?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a "Bridge of Service" Policy I can e-mail you if you leave and address.
  • The policy I like is one that gives credit for prior service if the person is not gone longer than they worked. For example, they leave after three years, but wish to return two years later. You would give them credit for their three past years of service when they return. However, if they work two years and wish to return three years later, they start with a new hire date.

Note in the first example above: they do not get their original hire date back, but rather their starting date is adjusted back to reflect their previous three years of service. Your benefit plans will govern whether they have to wait the 90 days of not. What does your plan document say about prior service? The real advantage to the employer is that trained employees with a track record known to the company will return and the advantage to returning employees really comes with the awarding of vacation time or PTO.

I would also put a provision in your policy that states if you are gone less than three months, you get your original hire date back. This encourages the employee who jumped to the really great job, that turned out not to be so great, to return immediately. "Boomerangs" are the best advertisement for remaining at your company and illustrating that the grass is not always greener...

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • We use a sixty (60) day period for what we call reinstatement and there is no break in service associated with returning. Anything longer than 60 days requires the individual to be treated as a new employee in every way.
  • I've had 6 years of experience in HR and both my employers in within this timeframe have used the same exact waiting period. If an employee returns before 60 days from their date of termination they keep their seniority and continue to accrue sick and time off without the 90 day introductory period. If they return after 60 days they are considered re-hires and must go through the new hire paperwork, drug screen, background check ect...
  • My email address is [email]gtribble@galaxyaviation.com[/email]

Thanks!
    Gabrielle