First Aid Kits

We would like to make sure that our medical kits are compliant with OSHA standards for our facility. Can someone tell me where I could find guidelines to make this determination? Our local clinic doesn't feel that their doctors would be able to certify our kits for us. Who would you suggest that we could ask to check the contents out for us and give us written certification that they are up to code for our facility? Thank you.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The American Red Cross has a list of suggested first aid kit items and that might be a place to start. Also, your state industry assoc might also be able to fine-tune it even more.
  • Lynn,

If you want your first-aid kits to be OSHA compliant, check the website for OSHA in your state and see if they don't furnish a list of what should be in them. You can also call your state OSHA office, but I wouldn't give them your company name. You wouldn't want to put yourself on their radar screen. However, you can be a student doing research on a paper for your degree. Hope that helps!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
  • OSHA standard "1910.151 - Medical services and first aid" is not specific as to "what" should be in first aid kit. Other references to first aid in the standards are specific to the safety area being addressed. In 8 years of voluntary inspection by OSHA consultants - no one has even looked at my first aid kit. Margaret's suggestion to call OSHA is good, my experiences with OSHA have been very educational. Or, you can in "good faith" make sure that the items in your first aid kit are appropriate to your working environment. We use a service to keep our kit fully stocked, they evaluate our needs, and advise us if they feel we should include an item.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-06-03 AT 07:01PM (CST)[/font][p]I think your nurse should be able to provide you with the certificate as well as training on how to assemble the first aid kits.
    If not, I suggest to contact State Plan office in your state at [url]http://www.osha.gov/fso/osp/index.html[/url]. I have been in touch with OSHA officials in the past and I have found them very informative and helpful.
    Thanks,
    Maryam

• It's like 16 pages long, but I got a copy of the ANSI Z308-1998 standard that gives the [u]minimum[/u] requirements for a first aid kit. The ANSI standard is referenced in OSHA's CFR 1910.151(c).

1 - absorbent compress 4x8" minimum
    16 - adhesive bandages 1x3"
    5 yds adhesive tape
    10 - antiseptic applications 0.5g
    6 burn treatment applications 0.9g
    4 sterile pads 3x3" minimum
    2 pair medical exam gloves
    1 triangular bandage 40x40x56" minimum

It's also part of the standard that "additional first aid products will be included to augment the kit, based upon the specific hazards existing in a particular work environment." For example, I keep sterile eye wash solution and cold spray in my kit to treat eyes irritated by metal dust and minor burns from welding.