Bonus Structure - Fund Raising

For the upcoming 2009 year, I am looking to create a bonus structure for the position of Director of Development. The position has responsibility for fund raising for our business operations that provide services to a long-term care Nursing Home.

Does anyone have any bonus structure systems that could be linked to Fund Raising? The idea would be that the bonus would escalate or be provided at an identified level if they raise or secure identifiable donations or funds.

I appreciate in advance any feedback or you could forward any policy to [email]gthorpe@fdllutheranhome.org[/email].

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I see you have not received any responses. My question is, as Director of Development, isn't that person's job getting donations? Isn't that what they get PAID for? Why add a bonus to the mix?

That's like giving a payroll clerk a bonus every time they complete a payroll.
  • The Director of Development must generate donations. We are a non-profit and we set a budget. I am trying to create some incentive to go above and beyond wha tis "budgeted" for fund raising. The mirroed example might be a bonus structure for a sales leader.
  • We have a similar position in a similar not-for-profit industry and do not provide the incentive of bonuses. In trying to think through the logic of adding the incentive, a concern I would have would be in the area of sacrificing quality for quantity somehow. Our experience has been that benefactor relationships seem to come first and their giving follows, as if the position is more of a PR position than a fund-raising position. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your idea.