mandatory direct deposit

I'm an HR professional working in a company that does temporary nurse staffing in IL. What is the current regulations for mandatory direct deposit in my state?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I posted a similar question regarding my state a few months back and did not get any responses that dealt with my state (Michigan).

I had to go to my states department of labor website and look up wage and hour laws for my state. It was tedious to say the least, and of course it was not written in "normal language". But I did find it and believe we now understand it.

Hopefully someone from your state will know, but you may have to search it out.

Best Regards,

Louann
  • lindapicc, in the April 2005 issue of Illinois Employment Law Letter, attorney editor Steve Brenneman answered questions about "Wage payment requirements in Illinois." As a reader, you have access to the full article (and thousands of others from all 50 states in our searchable database). Here is what Steve wrote about direct deposit:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Q: Can I force my employees to accept direct deposit of their paychecks in my company's bank?

A: No. You can't compel employees to accept direct deposit of their paychecks without their consent or designate an exclusive depository without their consent.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Since that time, Steve has changed law firms, so the e-mail address listed in the archived article is no longer correct. His correct address is [email]sbrenneman@fordharrison.com[/email]. Hope this helps.

Tony Kessler
    (615) 661-0249 x 8068