Furloughed employee

Can anyone give me a definition of "furloughed employees" with regard to exempt employees? It's been explained to me that some companies put exempt employees on "furlough" for a short period of time without pay due to temporary plant closings.
Benefits stay in place and the employee is given a return to work date, similar to a temporary layoff, I guess. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Proceed carefully and consider whether your employer is public or private. I haven't heard the reference 'furlough' with respect to exempt employees, but FLSA will dictate unless a state regulation has a tighter restriction. I can tell that I put the following in a general Internet search field--exempt & furlough & employee & "lay off"--and had some interesting results. One of the first was a legal warning from a private practice advising against 'furloughing' exempt employees in a specific state. Other links went directly to state-sponsored web pages that discussed furlough options. Try the seasrch and see if you get what you are after.

best wishes.
  • Thanks, Stilldazed. I've been searching the internet also and can't seem to find a definitive answer. I'll try your suggestion search also.

• In the quick look I took, I think that you'll find that 'furlough' is an adapted name for a category and that there is no real 'legal' category. I had the feeling while I was looking that public employers had the tendency to call the person furloughed & private employers would call it something different.