REQUIRING EXEMPT STAFF TO RECORD TIME LIKE NON-EXEMPT STAFF

I have a manager who wants to have exempt staff of one department record their time the same as non-exempt staff, including time away from their desk for breaks, lunches, etc.

I have read several places that to treat an exempt employee like a non-exempt employee in this manner can jeopardize that employees exempt status. Apparently this is not of concern as long as the employee is correctly classified as exempt in the first place and is never paid based on what their timecard reflects but rather always based on their salary except when deductions are made from their pay as allowed by law.

Anyone see concerns with this practice?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It is perfectly legal to track an exempt employee's time as long as you do not dock their salary. This subject has been discussed at great length on this Forum. I suggest you do a search and you will find much information.
  • Welcome to the forum....
    I suspect their Manager has a reason for the exempt ee's in a particular dept. to clock in and out. I believe you are right on course, as long as you continue to pay them as exempt ee's there is nothing wrong with them clocking in and out. Do you know if the mgr. plans having them do this for a certain lenght of time?
  • Thanks for the welcome and the words of advice!

The manager has non-exempt and exempt staff in the same department. In my opinion, he is attempting to have all in the department clock in and out to have a perceived "fairness" for the non-exempt staff working 40 hours per week. Of course the non-exempt staff forget they are paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 per week.

While the exempt staff may come and go more freely I have no doubt they are putting in well over 40+ hours per week and getting the job done.

There is no certain length of time slated for this other than ongoing and a change in how that department books their time, exempt or non.

• Every employee in our company, including the president, records their hours worked. Absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. Just so long as you don't dock an exempt's pay if they record less than 40 hours.
  • Thanks for the info and assistance!