Rounding minutes

Can anyone help me with an issue that has come up. An employee has complained because the time clock rounds up within 10 minutes of a punch. So if the ee punches in at 3:50 it rounds up to 4:00. I have always worked with this standard but am wondering if I can find State law support in Wisonsin for this. Does anyone know where I can go to research this?
Thanks
Elizabeth

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Never mind. I was able to find that in the state of Wisconsin it is 7.5 minutes up or down. But here is a question...We have an employee that filed a complaint alleging that she was told to come to work early but not clock in until the scheduled hour. We plan to ask the employee who told her this so that we can investigate this thoroughly. We do not require the EE to come in early. My question: Can we fire this employee for making a false accusation. This is contingent on our investigation, but I am certain that this young lady is lying. We have had a few issues with her and I think that this is another attempt. When is it retaliation?????
    Thanks
  • You can do what you policy says you can do in investigation/discipline situations as long as you don't break a state/federal law, including discriminate. Be fair and as thorough as possible with your investigation. Look for concrete evidence. Make a decision based on what you find. Be prepared to do exactly the same thing should this scenario present itself again. In other words, be open minded until you have evidence, and don't make the decision on how to discipline based on your personal feelings about someone.

I don't know if your state has a provision for employment at will, but if it is then technically speaking you can fire for no reason at all. My advice is to ensure that you can prove the termination was for 'no' reason if/when the employee comes back disgruntled and alledges some discriminatory reason.

Best wishes for a good outcome.
  • Before you act, make yourself familiar with the various ways this situation could be affected by federal and/or state whistleblower laws.

One of the nastiest evolving challenges the HR profession is facing, IMHO.
  • I would make absolutely sure there is no chance that this employee was told to come in early or misinterpreted a statement to come in early or that someone implied she should come in early. Any questionable facts will be held against you.

If there is any question, I would give the person the benefit of the doubt. Then, I would give her specific instructions on this policy and who has the authority to request her to come in early.

I personally would not terminate someone for making a false accusation, unless it was a clear cut issue and deliberately damaging to the company, an employee, customer, vendor or a safety issue.

I would issue a stern final warning that the type of behavior would not be tolerated.