Employee Motivation

Does anyone out there have any really great ideas on how to motivate office staff? I recently read the book FISH and want to find ways to energize and motivate my staff as well. Any ideas on things my company can do? We're hoping that if the energy starts in our department that it will trickle down to other departments.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Assuming that you are the head of the department, I would start with the rest of your team. Ask them first.
  • Already did. The only thing that they came up with was rotate Fridays among the department of 1/2 day off. However, I'm looking more at games or internal competitions we could host amongst ourselves to keep people motivated. For example, we have to fold and stuff about 1200 statements for billing on the first of every month. This is a horrible task for the whole team. However, if we could figure out a way to make this fun then they might look forward to it every month.
  • Whoever stuffs the most gets a prize? I'm not good with this stuff. Why not get everyone together and figure out a way to automate the process so you don't have to do it. Or at least make it easier. That would be a big morale boost.
  • I understand that my reply is not answering your question, but I have to tell you. Our organization also stuffs a lot!! The best thing we did for our organization was to buy a stuffing machine. It's like Christmas every time we use it. It actually cut job completion time in half. NO lie!!! I beleive things like that improve motivation as well.
  • We have thought of automating the process. However, our comptroller has told us that we have to hit a certain number of members before she will allow us this purchase. Eventually it will help but it's a matter of keeping everyone motivated until it does. And only the GM is able to recruit new members so we have no way to help contribute to this part of the business. I do like the idea of a prize- only problem is would it slow us down in trying to count how many we did at the end of the stuffing or while we're stuffing.

I would love to hear any suggestions on how your businesses motivate your employees. I am looking for non-monetary type rewards because honestly we have a pretty good compensation package.
  • Susan, my take on this is a little different from what others have had to say, but then again, I'm different than others, period.

Anyway I don't know where your motivation problem is or what you really want to accomplish, but I've found that being positive, energetic, and upbeat while exhibiting a servant style of leadership will give you what you probably want from your staff. Servant style of leadership, more formally known as Biblical leadership as compared to secular leadership, means that you see to the needs of your people as they go about accomplishing their jobs. Secular leadership which is your more traditional style of leadership means that you are accomplishing your goals through others. There's nothing wrong with that, but the servant style of leadership will give you better results AND make for a happier, MORE MOTIVATED office staff. Remember, be positive, energetic, and upbeat and the whole thing will start with you, Susan. Good luck!
  • I completely agree Larry. And although they are feeding off of my energy and that has helped. Let me tell you a little about my overall company. I work for a country club. Although I am the HR Manager. My office is based in the business office. I watch the girls in the office have to do the same repetitive tasks day in and day out and even though they try their hardest to stay upbeat they are in situations where most of the members that they have to deal with are usually upset or irate.
    The entire club is very fast paced, each department almost like a little company within a company because they are all so different. I walked into this job and there were really no HR practices in place- so I have been creating the wheel since I started and a lot has improved. However, the employees need to know they are appreciated on a regular basis and receive the recognition for a job well done. Although I am now having the managers go through training programs on a regular basis (this also was something that was never done before) and things are improving- I need them to improve at a little faster of a rate where motivating your staff comes into play.
    Most of our staff at the club is very tenured with our company, having been here 5 to 20 years- which is awesome to be able to say, but I think many of them have gotten in the rut that I see our office staff in where they are just going through the motions each day and need something to re-energize them in their positions. It is critical that we get the energy flowing now, as we have about 150 employees now and with our company growing, I see us adding anywhere from 50-100 more within the next 6-12 months. Thoughts?
  • I may be throwing pebbles at a charging elephant, but we have "Fun Fridays" in our department. It's not structured at all, but every Friday someone usually comes up with something and we all take a 15-20 minute break to screw around a little. It's BYOB.
  • Susan, thanks for the detail. If I summarize correctly, you have an experienced staff who have run out of challenges on the job and most of their feed back is negative. Country club members can be "demanding", which is as nice as I can put that. I know what you mean and I can imagine it must irritate you; it would me. Nothing like catering to a bunch of Pharisees.

Here is an idea for your management to consider: do some cross training, both intradepartment and interdepartment. That would pique interest, offer a challenge, and give management alot of flexibility with their people. Everybody wins and you, Susan, are the HRhero.
  • "Here is an idea for your management to consider: do some cross training, both intradepartment and interdepartment. That would pique interest, offer a challenge, and give management alot of flexibility with their people"

Laryy's idea is really a good one. We did that here and gave everyone the opportunity to work at different locations, in different departments, and even go out on the bookmobile for a day. Not only is the knowledge this provides valuable, but many really appreciated their own jobs a lot more when they saw what others had to do.

Anne in Ohio
  • Thanks for the ideas everyone. Let me know if you think of any more!