Shift Differential

We are a logistics company, looking at shift differential for the afternoon and midnight shift in our dispatching department.

What is the going rate for shift differential and what is your experience with it? ie. Will it motivate employees to work afternoons and midnights? I don't think it will, but I do think it has value as to saying Thank You for working the off shift.

What do you think?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We offer an additional 50 cents for second shift and 75 cents for third shift. We offer this as an incentive and to thank people for working the off shifts.
  • We only have two shifts, and we offer a 10% differential for working swing. So, at our starting wage of $8.50/hour, it bumps them to $9.35. People who are in it for the money will be impressed, but those aren't typically the best long-term employees. We have gone to a policy where if someone applies for the swing shift and look good, we'll seriously consider them regardless of our staffing needs because it is so difficult to hire for that shift. Our differential kicks the crap out of the others in this area, but we have some competitors for labor with a large corporate structure behind them and they can really jack up the regular wage scale.

So if their only motivation is $$, it will help, but I think you're more right in that it's a way of saying thanks for not living a normal life.
  • We add $1.00 per hour for our second shift. In my experience, 2nd shift is the hardest to fill and maintain of the three. The shift differential helps.
  • We pay 30 cents more for 2nd shift.
  • We pay 5% differential for second shift and a 10% differential for 3rd shift.
  • One of our locations (TX) pays .25 and hour more, CT pays 15%. (I know I should get this consistent but each manufacturing plant sort of "run their own operation" as far as the making money so we let them make some of the decisions as long as reasonable and legal.)
    I have had CA pay an additional $1.00 to one employee for a very limited amount of time for a special project that had some deadlines.
    I don't know if it is worth it or not, but some employees won't work with out it.
    E Wart
  • We had a temporary swing shift in which the ees received an additional $1.00/hr until the company decided to eliminate the shift.

I had all employees sign a notification that from start date of shift until company eliminated shift they would receive the differential. Once they return to regular day shift they would return to regular pay rate.