Docking Pay for salaried ee's

This seems to be a never ending area for questions. We have a bona fide plan for sick/personal/vacation time (PTO)I know you can dock a salaried EE for the first week and last week of employment if not full weeks. I further know if you have a bona fide plan after all time is used up you can dock salaried ee's pay. My question is: A new salaried ee has not yet accrued any PTO to use for time off. Since we have a plan I presume then, that we may dock his pay for "full days" missed but I'm not certain. I know you can't dock for "sick time" but you can for "personal time" but what if "no time" is accrued yet? Help!! The alligators are after me.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-27-06 AT 02:31PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Steve,

You are going to get slightly different views from different posters on some of the nuances that you describe, but the general rule of thumb on the docking of pay for salaried employees goes like this:

1. You are right on the money in regards to the first and last (partial) weeks of an employee’s employment.

2. To the extent available, you can require exempt employees to use accrued paid leaves for partial and full day absences.

3. In the absence of available accrued leaves (and this is where you get will a variety of opinions and maybe even arguments) you can dock for full day absences but should not for partial day absences.

Companies that use "PTO" have a slightly easier time of it because paid time off is paid time off. If you use different types of paid leave, e.g., sick, annual, personal, etc, you incur the added headache of having to keep it all straight when it comes to defining which leave is being used when, if you know what I mean. Good Luck!

Geno

• Geno
    Thanks for the input. I thought that would probably be the case but it seems like the more I debate with myself the more unsure I became.
  • I moved your post here and deleted the second version. Welcome aboard!

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers