Exempt abuseing time

I have an exempt employee who is not putting in an 8 hour day. Now that being said, I realize that exempts often work overtime, and sometimes don't work a full 40 hour week but this person is regularly working a 35 hour week and the rest of her department is working late and there is work overflow and we have calculated her lack of hours is almost the exact amount of time others are working late. She claims to her supervisor she works 8 hours striaght with no lunch, yet ever day she is out at lunch and running personal errands. She has left several times for extended periods and they are trying to meet a hard deadline. This office is in NY and I talked to the labor board and they insist we need to make all employees exempt or not, take a 30 minute lunch break. My question is how do I word something saying we expect a 40 hour work week, and they must take lunches? Will I get in trouble saying we expect 40 hours?

My company is really good about only wanting 40 hours, never pushing exempts, but when one bad apple is in the bunch it makes it hard. In her defense the supervisor there did tell them they could all work this way, and did not think anything of it when they were out on errands and such. So rather than discipline at this point I want to clearly state a policy. I cannot seem to get this one straight in my mind....help! Please!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From whom are you receiving a complaint? Sounds like her supervisor has been okay with her work schedule. If the complaint comes from a fellow NY employee, I'd refer her to the NY supervisor. A policy from afar will not be effective unless the supervisor enforces it.

It seems to me the supervisor is where to start. Something is happening there for him/her to allow one employee such freedom when the workload is uneven and deadlines are approaching. Plus there seems to be confusion on whether the exempt is actually working 40 hours, as she says, or 35 hours. State law usually dictates about what is required re lunch breaks. I'm not sure exempts fall under those rules.
  • Supervisor is letting the whole dept do this, work 8 hours "straight" and then they run out for lunch and personal errands. I have spoken with him and he understands that is not correct to do. NY told me they have to take lunch Exempt or not, so they will no longer be allowed to do what they have been doing.

She does not claim she is working 40 hours per week, she clearly lets us know she is out to lunch and out running personal errands. She is often gone for more than an hour per day. The problem is the others in the dept are/were picking up/covering her work and not mentioning it to anyone, so the work was being done, but the burden is being unfairly put on the others. They have been staying late and such to meet the deadline. She waits for the supv to leave then she leave, things like that.

So at any rate it is my job to fix it all, and I am trying to figure out how to explain to them that we expect a 40 hour week and they will need to take at least a 30 minute lunch.

• I went to the DOL website for meal period rules by state, and copied NY's rules. As to a policy, I would issue a memo that quotes the standard that affects your employees and say this must be adhered to. The supervisor must enforce this. I think you're still stuck with the issue of an exempt requesting to eat their lunch at their desk while they work. Non-exempts would get paid if they did that. Exempts are getting paid a salary no matter what they do, which is why I'm still puzzled about them being required to take a lunch break.

As to the 40 hours, I would suggest your memo include a statement that says something like, "Office hours are 8 to 5 with a one hour lunch break, and ALL employees are expected to be present during these times to provide customer service, etc. etc. Any exceptions must be cleared in advance with your supervisor."

I would then have your supervisor sit down with this particular employee and say, "It's a new day, and here is what I expect out of you in terms of attendance and performance."

New York
    1 hour noon-day period
    Statute
    Factories
    Labor Commissioner may give written permission for shorter meal period under each standard.

30 minute noonday period for employees who work shifts of more than 6 hours that extend over the noon day meal period.
    Statute
    All other establishments and occupations covered by the Labor Law.

An additional 20 minutes between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. for those employed on a shift starting before 11 a.m. and continuing after 7 p.m.
    Statute
    All industries and occupations.

1 hour in factories, 45 minutes in other establishments, midway in shift, for those employed more than a 6-hour period starting between 1 p.m. and 6 a.m.
    Statue
    See basic standard

• I forgot to tell you , I am the one complaining! LOL! Because I have some employees working an extra 12-18 hours a week to cover her. I am not willing to un-duely stress them out so she can be flaky.
  • Although I didn't believe it, I found this on the NY state labor website, so it's pretty clear that NY Exempts are not excluded from meal breaks without a special permit. But I noticed California Exempts are not required to be given a meal break.

"In administering this statute, the Department applies the following interpretations and guidelines:

Employee Coverage. Section 162 applies to every "person" in any establishment or occupation covered by the Labor Law. Accordingly, all categories of workers are covered, including white collar management staff.

Shorter Meal Periods. The Department will permit a shorter meal period of not less than 30 minutes as a matter of course, without application by the employer, so long as there is no indication of hardship to employees. A meal period of not less than 20 minutes will be permitted only in special or unusual cases after investigation and issuance of a special permit.

One Employee Shift. In some instances where only one person is on duty or is the only one in a specific occupation, it is customary for the employee to eat on the job without being relieved. The Department of Labor will accept these special situations as compliance with Section 162 where the employee voluntarily consents to the arrangements. However, an uninterrupted meal period must be afforded to every employee who requests this from an employer.

Not all possible meal period questions can be anticipated and, therefore, these "Guidelines" may not cover all situations that might arise. For additional information or assistance, contact the nearest office of the Division of Labor Standards."

• Thanks for your replies! Yes CA lets exempts waive the lunch but NY does not, according to the text and then after calling the area DOL rep. I figure there is little I can do about an exempt going and getting lunch and then eating and working at thier desk, however, it was not appropriate that they are only in the office for 8 hours and then if they choose to take an hour to eat and run errands, we were only getting a 7 hour work day. The supervisor is on board with all of this and is willing to enforce the rules. The main thing we want to get across to them is they need to be in the office for 8 work hours and must also take at least a 30 minute lunch. All that will basically change is they will have to start 30 minutes earlier or stay 30 minutes later. I like how you worded things and will use that suggestion. Thank you!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-03-05 AT 12:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Excellent discussion, you two, about the breaks. I won't go into what we do here in the Land of 10,000 Ways to Allow the Employees to Flee the Building. That aside, just be careful about how you dictate the hours that exempts must work. If you get too critical and exact, they may, under the federal standards, lose thier exemption.
  • That was my big concern Larry. I tried to keep it to, you need to take a 30 minute lunch daily, exempt or not. Is there any way to tell them we expect a 40 hour week without jeopardizing exempt status, or should I just make his supervison be better with tracking the comings and goings of his people? This person does not submit her work directly to him, she submits it to a person below him. I am pretty sure I have cleared up the attitude of "not wanting her to get in trouble", by the gal she submits the work to. Once I showed her the hours lost and the amount of hours she was putting in to cover the other gal, she is on board. I just love HR! :-)
  • You don't have to mention 40 hours when replying to this individual. Rather, you should reply that they are failing to complete the work that is needed on a daily basis. That is also part of being Exempt - you stay until the necessary work is done.

It would seem the supervisor of this individual needs to address the matter head on. If the employee is claiming one thing - working through lunch and the supervisor says otherwise then you need to get the two together.

Lay out the problem and clearly state, "you will stay to complete the needed work - You will not work during your lunch until you can prove you have eraned that privilege."

The straight forward and clear tactic works every time for me.
  • I agree with your post - being legally exempt from overtime has nothing to do with scheduled hours of work. I'd have the supervisor sit down with employee and explain the schedule they are expected to work. If they employee talks about what they've "always done", explain that effective this date, this is the way it will be done now. It doesn't have to be an unpleasant or sternly spoken conversation, but the point needs to be made with no room for error. If they try to cloud the issue or become argumentative, write a memo to confirm the conversation and your expectations. Hold them accountable to work the expected schedule. Discipline them if they don't.
  • I agree with Dan. You need not address the 40 hr.work week. Discuss the issue of taking lunch and completing her assigned tasks. You mentioned that her co-workers were having to pick up her slack.
    Good luck.