Can we deduct ?

We pay vacation and sick leave seperately. We have an exempt who called in sick today, but only has 6 hours of sick leave in his bank. Can we force him to use 2 hours of vacation to cover the other 2 hours or are we just forced to make him take the entire day without pay? I guess the deducting in 8 hour blocks has me unsure.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here are two paragraphs from my material, which reflects Ca. wage and hour regs:

You may make deductions from an exempt employee's salary for absences of a full day or more for personal reasons such as vacation, personal leave, and religious holidays.

Where the company maintains a bona fide sick leave plan (a plan, policy, or practice that replaces compensation lost due to sickness or disability), a corresponding deduction may be made from salary. If such a plan exists, you may make a deduction from salary before the exempt employee has qualified for the sick/disability pay as well as after the employee has exhausted benefits under the plan.

It appears to me that you can deduct the six hours and also two extra hours, which would result in a loss of pay. There doesn't appear to be anything which would allow the forced deduction of two hours vacation pay. You might want to consider offering that as an alternative to two hours with no pay and leave it up to the employee.

• We have a similar plan with vacation and sick time which also applies to our employees in CA. If they run out of sick time, I apply hours from their vacation pool.
  • We usually do offer the use of vacation time, and most take it as they do not want to lose the pay, but I was just wondering in case he did not want to use the vacation. I am getting a touch concerned about this employee and his sick time, so I want to stay on top of it.

Do any of you warn the first time one is out of sick leave, or do you let it go a bit farther?
  • I believe you can deduct up to 8 hours for that day. We would allow the employee to choose combinations of sick leave, vacation leave, or leave without pay.

The leave balances are printed on each week's pay stubs, and our workforce is pretty aware of where they stand. If someone accidentally requests more leave hours than they have, our payroll system catches it. We have then tried to warn the employee that their check will be shorter than they expected.