Consequences for Failure to Clock In/Out?

We are implementing our first timeclock system, moving upward from paper timesheets. Most of the employees caught on the first week, but one or two like to "forget" to punch, esp. when returning late from lunch, etc. One employee seems to think she only has to punch once a day. 8-| The employees clock in/out on their computers at their desks.

It's time to add some consequences and/or carrots. Any ideas?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have the same problem with a few select ees. I have the supervisors review timesheets but if an ee does not swipe in or out,that day's pay is moved over to the next pay period. It's more work for me, but it has stopped 99% of the non-swipes. As long as I pay them in the next pay period, I'm OK.
  • IF you have not, I would recommend administering your disciplinary action for those habitual forgetful employees and carry through with it. If you don't, you will continue to have to spend your and your supervisor's valuable time correcting time records and payroll. Let me assure you that in addition to having to wait a week to be paid, if you give an EE a written warning or better yet, suspend them if warranted, you will not have to worry about them not using the clock properly.
  • We faced the same problems when we implemented automatic time and had to include some punitive measures in our policy.

They read:

(e) Employees who clock in late or fail to clock in twice within a 3-month period,
    will receive a verbal warning. Additional late clock-ins or failures to clock in
    within that same 12-month period will result in a written reprimand and possible disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. An employee with more than four late clock-ins in any 12- month period will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

(f) Employees who clock out early or fail to clock out twice within a 3-month
    period, will receive a verbal warning. Additional early clock-outs or failures to
    clock out within that same 12-month period will result in a written reprimand and possible disciplinary action up to and including dismissal. An employee with more than four early clock-outs in any 12-month period will be subject to disciplinary
    action up to and including dismissal.

Anne in Ohio
  • I have been wanting to ask this question myself since we have 17 employees and 4 or 5 will not punch in or out. Since they will not punch in or out, can we legally dock each incident by 15 minutes? I see where they write in the time on the days they don't clock in, but on the days they do clock in, they are generally late or leaving early. Any help would be appreciated on this.
  • No employee should ever be allowed to write on their time cards. If there is an error on the timecard or the forget to punch in or out, they must see the supervisor. The supervisor can, therefore, keep track of who is chronic (and needs disciplinary procedures) but, also, should know if they saw the ee at work at the time the ee says they were at work.
  • I too had this problem. We have now tied it into our attendance point policy where an employee will be given points for not clocking in or out. We had too many people who very conveniently would "forget" if they were running late. Now if they forget they will be penalized for it.
  • We also included the requirement to punch in/out in our personnel policies. Disciplinary action is the only way to handle repeat offenders. Make sure your employees are aware of the policy and when it will/did begin. The DOL frowns upon delayed payment of wages, docking pay, etc.
  • Any employee that fails to clock-in/out twice in a month loses his/her perfect attendence for that month.
  • The advice given by Whatever is sound advice and if you do nothing else, implement that. Never permit an employee to write on his/her own time card. Hold the supervisor accountable to confirm any discrepancies and to keep track of times when employees don't clock in or out.

This is your front line in curtailing the problem immediately.
  • Q: "Consequences for Failure to Clock In/Out?"

A: "Failure to receive a check."

My suggestion is to not even think about enabling these people. Make them accoutable to themselves. Trust me, I had this problem and I also had enabling supervisors who perpetually did manual edits in Kronos. I disabled their accounts one week and had about 60 people with no checks. Problem solved.
  • Gene, I agree it's about making employees accountable; but accountable to their supervisors. Then you hold the supervisor accountable. If you don't, you don't need them in charge. You're paying them to supervise, not enable.

I believe under FLSA you still gotta' give 'em their check and make adjustments on the next pay. You'll correct me if I'm wrong, but it's okay.
  • Thank you for the information on not writing on their time cards. The owner is the one who instructed them to start this habit, so i will get him this information and maybe he will understand the frustration of not following procedures. Thanks.
  • You're absolutely right. However, if the employee fails to properly record their hours, how am I supposed to know? Besides, we fixed it on the next payroll cycle. My point is that with 99.9% of offenders this only happens once then they suddenly remember.