Converting Overtime Hours to Personal Time

We have an hourly non-exempt employee who has been working on a project and putting in a lot of OT hours, for which she is being paid overtime rates.

Today she let me know that she may have to take one day off to have outpatient surgery in the next two weeks, and would need a day off to do so. She does not have sufficient PPT time available and does not want to incur the point for being out the day (she has already had a written warning for attendance), so she asked if we would convert 8 hours of the overtime to PPT time instead.

My immediate thought is no, that we have to pay her for the time worked.

Is conversion of OT to PPT allowed if requested by the employee?

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-28-05 AT 03:03PM (CST)[/font][br][br]
    "Is conversion of OT to PPT allowed...?"

Given the circumstances you have presented, the proposed conversion of OT to PPT is the working definition of comp-time and with the exception of certain public service sector jobs, it is not allowed. The only exception to that rule is if a schedule adjustment is made in the week in which the OT was earned.

Geno, SPHR
  • Thanks Geno - that was my thinking also, just wanted confirmation to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Appreciate your help!