Breaks

I currently work for an employer who gives employees an hour for lunch unpaid meaning we work form 8AM to 5PM. Until recently, we were also allowed two 10 minute breaks-one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I was told the state of Ohio has a law that mandates exmployers to allow their employees to have a break if they work so many hours. Is the unpaid lunch considered the break? If so, what happens when an employer wants to have a staff meeting during employees' lunch time?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure about your state, but ours do not require a break, only a meal break of 30 min. if the employee is scheduled to work for 6 hours or more. Federal Law does not mandate just a break. You would need to check for your state law.
  • Ohio law is no different than federal law; there is no provision that requires an employer to give employees time off during the work shift for a lunch break or a break, unless the break is in a union contract and except for minors. The Ohio Child Labor Law prohibits an employer from working a minor for more than five straight hours without giving them at least a 30 minute break. The state of Ohio web site has lots of info about that. Go to //ohio.gov & they have a search engine.

We give two 15 minute breaks & if business necessitates them skipping it, they complain until I tell them breaks aren't required by law.
  • If the EE does any work during lunch hour, which would include the meeting(s) you referenced, then the EE must be paid for such work. If it causes OT during the work week, then it is time and a half.