holiday pay for part time employees

I am new to the forum and this is my first time posting a message. I am an HR Generalist for a health care practice with 50+ employees.

I am wondering how other people handle holiday pay for part time employees. We recently started using part time employees (work only a couple of days a week)and I am unsure how to structure the holiday pay as a benefit. Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to structure this? Thank you for your time!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would guess most emp/ers do not provide holiday pay for part timers, but you free to adopt whatever policy you choose if you want to provide the benefit. I know a few emp/ers who provide it at pro rata (40% for a two day a weeker), and some provide it if the holiday occurs on a day they would otherwise be scheduled, but there are no federal laws which mandate holiday benefits.

Welcome to the forum!
  • Shadow is right on. I have worked with both scenarios. If you do not have one, I would suggest that you have a written policy outlining who, and with what criteria, are eligible for Holiday Pay. In talking to peer groups, the overwelming majority do not offer this benefit to part-time EEs. (Normally working less than 32 hours)

Welcome to the Forum!!!
  • Our part-timers (manufacturing) that work 20-39 hours per week get 4 hours (instead of the 8 that FT'ers get) of holiday pay regardless of whether they're scheduled to work or not. I am one of the PT'ers, and I really appreciate it (although I do work 5 days a week. I appreciate it because we used to get nuthin'). It is kind of a payroll nightmare to try and figure out if X person is scheduled to work Y day and whether or not to give them holiday pay if you go that route.
  • Our part-time employees receive holiday in the amount of their normal work schedule. Most work 4 hours per day, therefore, they receive 4 hours holiday pay. We are an insurance company.
  • We used the pro-rata approach until recently. We now do not pay part-timers (those under 30 hours per week).
  • We don't pay part-timers for holidays, vacations or sick time. We do have some part-timers who want all their allocated hours so when there's a holiday we schedule them for all the hours if we need them.
  • We are a healthcare facility with almost 150 employees. Our regular part time employees (work 20-32 hrs/wk) are paid 4.0 hrs. for a Holiday day whether they are scheduled to work that day or not.

They are also eligible for participation in our 401k plan, paid vacation and sick leave.

That seems to work well for them.
  • All of our part time employees (currently we have 5 of them) receive 3.75 hours of holiday time. Each part time employee is normally scheduled 20-30 hours per week. Our full time employees receive 7.5 hours of holiday pay due to normally working a 37.5 hour work week with the exception of management. Something to consider is that holiday pay for part timers is an attractive benefit to be able to offer during the recruiting process as well as to use as a retention tool. When you consider the cost of a full time employee with medical benefits, this is a small sacrifice to make and it keeps everyone happy! We have 43 employees in the financial services industry.
  • I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my question. Your responses were very helpful!!

Jen
  • We have part time employees... and it depdends on their status. Part time/full time temp employees (summer workers or someone filling in for 6 weeks while someone is out) do not get any holiday pay. They are only paid for the time they work.
    However, if someone is a regular, part time employee (has an established schedule for each week; ie. M-T 8 hrs a day or M-F 5 hours a day, or MWF 10 hours a day), working between 30-39 hrs a week, they would be eligible for holiday pay. The amount they can be paid is a prorata basis of their scheduled hours. (ie. scheduled to work 30 hours/week would get 75% of 9x8=72 hours (which is what a full time, 40 hours gets) or 54 hours a year. They would be paid for the time that they would be scheduled to work that we are closed. If this totals less than 54 hours, they would have "floating holiday" time that they can take whenever.
    This sounds more complicated than it really is. We have about 8-10 folks working under this plan and it works fine.
    I can fax or email you more info if you send address.
    E Wart