slow response tiime

Is anyone else having difficulty logging onto the Forum, as far as it taking an extrememly long time to log on or bring up a post? I've never had it take so long before, and I thought it mihgt be my computer or network connection, but I can get on the net and other sites with no problem. Maybe it's my computer telling me to get back to work........

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes Yes Yes. I was just thinking the same thing and wondering whom to ask or complain to. It has been like this for at least a week or two. First thing in the AM it is ok, but as it gets later it gets awfully slow - so slow I've loged off rather than wait to hook up. I wondered about my computer as well, but I do not have the same problems on other sites. Maybe someonme at Smith can tell us.
  • Yes Yeess Yeeessss.... And morning is not better. Everything on the Forum is slow now.
  • Next week's survey is about teaching ees (based on our experience)to be patient under all circumstances. x}>
  • Add me to the list. Like Shadowfax, I have left the site - even coming back later, but by then some of my great input (x;-) ) is lost forever.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-25-05 AT 12:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sometimes just switching between topics is excrutiating. Do we have to input some bad words here to get HERO to read this stuff? Is anybody home? Does anybody care?
    For som,e reasomn, right now it seems tob e working fine - jusst my fingers are all messed up!
  • Thank you for posting. I thought it was my computer also. Misery loves company x:D
  • Maybe it's because I'm just up the road from M.Lee Co. but I've not experienced any delays.
  • It's been very slow, I didn't fidure it was my computer because everything else was working just fine. I thought it must be that everyone was logged on at the same time and the site was just too busy.
  • Seems to me there are a lot fewer participants now than a year ago!
  • I haven't been on the forum for a couple of weeks due to work load. I went on this morning to catch up and I couldn't believe how slow it was. I waited very long times for individual forum questions and answers to come up. What is going on????
  • Mine is MUCH better today, but for several days, it took 4-5 minutes just to get to the subject index and then another 4-5 minutes to pull up a post. As you can see from the other posts, I'm not the only one experiencng the problem. I don't know what the heck was going on, but soon after I posted my question to the Forum members, the speed got much better. Coincidence???
  • It's just as slow from home. If this question had been posed on the 'how to use the forum' venue, they would have jumped in. It's been discussed at least twice at length. It's sort of like when you buy a new vehicle and take it back with a complaint and you're told, "Oh, they're all gonna do that." But, they did quit telling us to reboot. The problem is on their end, not ours.
  • Yes, the trouble is on our end, and we apologize for it. It has to be frustrating to move in slow motion. Basically, our Internet/e-mail lines get filled to capacity from time to time. More details are in a thread in the Using the Employers Forum section:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/DCForumID23/565.html[/url]

Until we can buy more equipment for a long-term solution, we'll be making yet another attempt at a short-term fix.

Please let us know when the Forum is unusally slow and it doesn't clear up within an hour or so. You can e-mail Christy Reeder at [email]WebEditor@HRhero.com[/email] or the Forum moderator who's listed in the Lobby of the Forum (except the past couple of days, when moderator Brad Forrister has been with me, shooting scenes for the next edition of our Danger Zones videos).

Have a great weekend! :DD

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-30-05 AT 07:23AM (CST)[/font][br][br]"Until we can buy more equipment for a long-term solution, we'll be making yet another attempt at a short-term fix."

Not to bust chops or anything James, but your post sat about as well with me as the news that Senator Ford was getting a public defender. I don't think we need to hire Arthur Andersen to cocnclude that MLS is not exactly in financial dire straits.

Why not invest in the infrastructure required today in order to deliver service to your customers?
    Does the forum take a backseat to other ventures? I bet that MLS would not blink if the technology that needed upgrading was the one responsible for processing your e-business transactions!

I'm not sure what 'another short-term fix' means, but given that the weather is clear today in Tennessee, you may want to just send me a smoke signal. It may be a faster.

Gene

• Gene,

I understand your frustration, and I apologize for the slowness of the website. We're taking this very seriously -- we'd be wasting our time to have a website if people can't access it easily. Our Employment Law Letter subscribers are our #1 priority, and that includes the Forum.

After talking with Jim the Technical Guy, I realize the situation might be a little more complicated than I thought, and we could use some help from you and other Forumites in diagnosing the problem.

When you use the Forum over the next two or three days, would you please keep track of what time it's slow, fast, or medium? Then let Christy Reeder and me know at [email]WebEditor@HRhero.com[/email] . Please include the day and time (and your time zone). And please let us know when it's fast or medium -- not just when it's slow. If a handful of people would do this ;;) it would help us pinpoint the problem.

At least part of the problem seems to be the capacity of our T1 lines, which carry all of our company's Internet and e-mail communication. We made an adjustment that should help, starting today. If that doesn't work, there's something else we could do, but it could create other problems. :-?

The long-term solution is to buy new servers and hire an outside vendor to provide the connection. It's all but certain that we'll do this, but we're proceeding cautiously because it will take a good bit of technical work to make the switch, along with a fundamental change in the way we run things -- and a decent amount of money. If it was as simple as buying a machine and plugging it in, we would've done that by now.

Please let us know when the Forum is slow or fast for you. Even a quick e-mail would help.

Thanks,

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com