Contract Labor vs. payroll

We just completed the purchase of another company! Woohoo!

I just learned that if an employee left before earning $600, they paid the employee as contract labor via Accounts Payable instead of through taxed payroll. (They have high turnover - around 120% annually, I believe)

It never occurred to me to ask whether or not all payroll is paid via payroll check.

In every case, the employee performed the same job duties as any other employee, but they justified paying through A/P because of the dollar amount of the earnings.

Is this legal? I advised them to immediately begin paying all wages through the payroll system, regardless of amount of earnings.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know for a fact if it is legal, however, we've done it for years. I feel confident the practice is above board given the fact that our controller does not allow hijinks on his watch.

• Sorry if this shows up twice. I tried once before but it didn't show.

Someone who says it's OK, please educate me. Where are the regs that say it's alright to pay some minimum amout of wages as contract labor. What's the maximum? Do you 1099 the recipient? Is that more work than putting them on the payroll?

This could well be the BEST POST EVER! :)

HRQ: You're bringing back memories. In my first job in HR, I worked for a company with 120% turnover. I used to tell supervisors that I had a lump of clay in my bottom desk drawer and if they'd just leave me alone I'd start making new employees. Good luck.
  • I'd rather have you show me why it is not legal. As long as the employer abides by the laws regarding payment of wages, he can pay out of his 'change jar' if he wants to.

P.S. The usual 1099 rules apply when the dollar amount reaches a certain figure during a year. But this would not rise to that level.
  • Tough to prove that I don't beat my wife any more.

A couple of quotes from Circular E: "Wages subject to federal employment taxes generally include all pay that you give to an employee for services performed. The pay may be in cash or in other forms." "For federal income tax withholding and social security, Medicare, and federal unemployment (FUTA) tax purposes, there are no differences among full-time employees, part-time employees, and employees hired for short periods." On a weekly payroll period, federal withholding for 'single, 1 allowance' starts at earnings of $115. As far as I know, Social Security tax starts at dollar one.

You can pay them out of your change jar if you want, but they better show up on your 941. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-19-05 AT 02:14PM (CST)[/font][br][br]HUNTER1: It is in the instructions for the 1099. I did a google and got into the IRS and the 1099 forms, there is loads of information, I became frustrated because I was not finding what I thought I knew. So I went to our accounting department person that handles taxes for our company and she pulled out her 1099 Bible and there it was in black and white.

As a standard practice, we attempt to run everything through payroll; however, from time to time a new employee may quit our employment relationship, before I am able to get to the remote location to formally enroll the individual. In this case we get a copy of the W-9 form and have the individual fill it out and return it to us. Upon receiving the W-9, a contract labor named file is created in the tax office. We forward the recorded accounts payable amount of money to the accounts payable accounting clerk, who will issue a check for contract labor. The amount of the contract labor is recorded and "should this person accum enough contract labor earnings to exceed $600.00", then our company is required to issue a supporting 1099 and send it to the individual like we do the W-2s at the end of the year. Any contract labor file that does not exceed $600.00 is closed and nothing further is reported in name and SSN for this person.

I was astounded! If these individuals decide not to report the $599.99 earned from this company they do not have to report it either. Therefore, our staff Accounting Manager insist that we attempt to run everything through payroll for two reasons: 1) 1099 administration and reporting is added work on the accounting tax clerk. 2) the individual is subject to no taxes if below $600.00.

I hope this helps all to have a clearer picture, it was well worth the short research course in staffing a particular action. I learned more than I surely freely give out in this posting.

My day has been Blessed, this "ole DAWG" learned something new today.

PORK

• I know lots of companies do this, but that does not make it right.

I think the answer lies in the definition of contractor vs employee. If the individual in question meets the definition, they should be paid through payroll. This would obviously include all the payroll taxes and workers compensation reporting.

Our WC provider audits our contractor payments account every year. If we cannot provide a certificate of coverage - we get charged for those contractors too.

I wonder if the IRS has ever audited the companies that do this. If they caught it, I wonder if they would have a different take on the practice?
  • You bring up an interesting twist to this Marc. This deserves a more in-depth look.

Gene
  • Yup, in spite of Pork's "bible", I remain unconvinced. An employee is an employee, is an employee, not a contractor, or contracted labor. If you could do this, why wouldn't, for instance, a group of farmers get together during harvest and rotate a whole bunch of workers through the employer group so that none of the workers earned more than $600 from any one farmer? They wouldn't have to pay any taxes and it would all be legal. This might work with other employers also, but this is a situation where there doesn't have to be much training to go from employer to employer.

I, too, am an old dawg, and I'd like to say I learned a new trick today, but so far, no such luck.
  • Wow! Another chance to learn new tricks. But it can't be as simple as just saying that because the ee earned less than $600 he wasn't an ee but was contract labor? Can it? Do we just ignore the IRS contractor test simply because the payment was 'insignificant'? If the $115 threshold is accurate (I don't know) then where is the justification for failing to w/hold the king's sheckels and render unto etc in accordance with the rules. I am familiar with the $600 1099 threshold, but I doubt that gets on home free on w/holding from an ee. And what happens when 2 months later the ee claims an injury from the 4 days he worked at the er? Work comp or no? If no, then guess what, he has a right to sue you like any other tort feasor and youhave no WC protection. I'm interested - but not convinced.
  • Shadow says, "I am familiar with the $600 1099 threshold, but I doubt that gets on home free on w/holding from an ee."

You hit the nail on the head. The employer was simply avoiding both the payment of taxes and staying under the 1099 radar. The only thing the employer is not guilty of is NOT paying wages. He chose to ignore the other obligations knowing it would never surface.
  • You guys are awesome. x:)

The previous company likely saved loads of employer social security contributions by paying cash to those who depart quickly, considering the high rate of turnover.

The w/c issue struck me too. An injured ee would be covered by w/c AND in the annual audit it would become evident that the er was not paying premiums on the quickly-termed staff AND not reporting them as contract labor during the audits.

Where it's hurting us now is the UI tax rate. I don't know about other states, but in AZ, we pay a % based on the first $7,000 earnings for every employee.

Not reporting taxable wages for ee's earning under $600, therefore not paying UI premiums on those ee's, has hurt because they are still liable for unemployment benefits for those ee's.

Their current SUI rating is .77, ours is .02. Without going into a big explanation, suffice it to say it's a big difference and I'm eager to get their rating down. Paying premiums appropriately and getting a consistent staff development and discipline program in place will go a long way... Documentation is not currently a strength. x:(

• HRQ, no one mentioned this so I will throw it out. We have had "new employees" report and work one or two days and then not show back up. Instead of going through all the work to put them on our payroll, we contact the Temp agency we use and get them to "payroll them" for us. This way they are never our employees, we don't have them in our UI and we don't have to go through putting them in and then terminating them from payroll.
    I don't know what your term of working for a short while or those with less than $600 earned... how long they actually worked. However this has worked for us and I know that it is legal.
    We do have some true "contract" workers and they are paid through Acocunting and 1099 is issued.
    E Wart
  • Whoa! First you say we have new ees 'report for work' ... then the temp agency 'payrolls them for us'...'this way they are never our ees'...'and it's legal'.. I say, in a pig's eye (no offence Pork) Either they is or they ain't. You guys are deluding yourselves. And if there is ever an issue over whose employees they are, or were, I'll bet the farm you lose - and the bigger the liability, the more assuredly you lose.
  • Leave it to a Minesota boy to combine pig's eye, pork, betting the farm and whoaaa, into one sentence on labor law.
  • Actually it's Michigan, but close enough - and I always intended to be a pig farmer, I don't know where I went wrong. And remember: I open as Will Rogers in the Will Rogers Follies just two weeks from tonight! Ropin', an singin and dancin and good ole down home humor; "You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give!"
  • Mr. Rogers; is it true all that stuff they attribute to you? Seems either you or Yogi Berra came up with every comment ever made except for two or three by Confuscious. Inquiring minds...
  • Some of you mentioned having to (or avoiding having to) "go through all the work" of setting up the employee in payroll.

To me, the work of setting them up was a non-issue. It just takes a confirmed SSN, a name, and a few seconds keying the info. If the ee failed to complete the W-4, you can default them to Single/0 dependents, I believe.

If you paid the "contractor" through a temp agency, wouldn't that actually be MORE expensive than just paying via payroll and absorbing the SS match, w/c premiums and anything else that goes along with it? When you pay a temp agency, you are paying all those fees plus a little profit for the the agency too, it just doesn't look that way on the invoice.

I still just don't see the benefit to paying the employee as anything other than an employee.
  • The Internal Revenue Service prints a document called Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide. This includes a definition of an employee. If a worker meets the definition of employee you should pay them through payroll regardless of the dollar amount. If you do not and get caught, you will be liable for social security, Medicare taxes and withheld income tax yourself if you did not deduct and withhold them. If you had a reasonable basis for not treating them as an employee and gave them a 1099, you might not have to pay unemployment taxes (futa) for the employee. The 1099 comes into play only for worker's who are not employees as defined by the IRS. The IRS will help you determine if a worker is an employee by completing a Form SS-8 ( or you can call their helpline). As Hunter1 said, these wages had better be on the 941 Form each quarter - this is important.