EE wants to work 4-10hrs

We have a dept that all want to work 4 10hr days. The number of days do not concern us but they do not want to take a lunch break. Work straight 10 hrs, is that ok? PS my state is Indiana. I know state law must apply first.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless your state mandates a duty-free meal period, you're free to pay for that time.
  • Aside from laws, if there are any, I don't believe people can work "straight 10 hr" days with a lunch break and hold up for long. Productivity will go to hell.
  • Don is absolutely correct. I guarantee you that most people will not go 10 hours without eating!
    Some areas in our medical practice work four 10's when the staffing is complete; otherwise, when staffing is low, they understand they have to go back to 5 days a week. It works our fairly well, except for the folks who don't have this opportunity - they tend to complain a bit.

Me, I'd love to work four 10's instead of five 10's.

• Welcome to the Forum. Federal law does not require meal breaks, and if you go to the Indiana Dept of Labor website, it also says Indiana has no requirements for meal breaks. So technically, you can let them go 10 straight hours.

I agree with the others though about the logic that these people will need something to eat or drink during the 10 hours. It probably depends upon their flexibility for breaks etc., and how strictly you enforce breaktimes, or eating at their work stations, etc. I'm guessing most studies would conclude that at least a 30 minute break away from the work station is good for the employee and ultimately the employer.

Are you talking about 3-4 white collar people or 10-15 blue collar workers?
  • Of course my intention was to say "without a lunch break". (sorry)
  • We have several who work 10 hour days for four days with supposedly no lunch. One is non exempt and is in and out of the break room and snacks at her desk. But her production is top notch so no beef. Another is exempt and does take lunch breaks but also maintains production so no beef.
    The biggest problem is not lunch breaks but the fact that the day they are gone others are on duty and things come up which cause decisions to have to wait until the following Monday when they are back. So, if you have a whole department out you need to look at that situation. Now you can solve that with slidding schedules but that may not be what they have in mind.
  • I think you need to evaluate the situation as it pertains to your company's needs. Like stated above, MOST people are NOT going to work 10 hours w/o eating. Now do they have they type of job where they could possible eat a sandwhich at their desk and maintain productivity or work at their machine and not lose productivity? Only your management can decide this. And please don't forget the safety factor if they are operating machinery while eating, etc. Otherwise, let them give it a trial run for a month and see what happens. it is a nice benefit especially during the summer months, which might be what you would want to consider.
  • Our manufacturing facility works 4 10 hour days. A 30 minute lunch is essential. Productivity and efficiency go down the tubes as the shift gets longer.

We found that the max of working straight through was 6 hours. After that employees got tired and sloppy.
  • I would like to thank everyone in their comments. I believe we are going to try this shift as a temp. This dept does testing in our medical practice. They will have the opportunity to have a 15 min break (lunch) away in the kitchen if they want something to eat. This was a good first time response. Thanks