New hire quits

We are a nursery with a lot of seasonal employees. Each Spring we go through the process of adding 20 or so seasonal employees (who work 4-6 months) to our year-round base of 15 employees. Unfortunately, we end up needing to hire 30 or 40 employees to get 20 that will stay. We have many who quit after only working anywhere from a few hours to a few days once they realize the hard work involved.

My question is, do all of these people have to go through the payroll system? Is there a minimum number of hours they have to work before you have to start withholding taxes? In the past, we have always run them through the system. But this year we had a few that did not provide all of their tax papers (W-4, etc.) the first day. They worked for 3 or 4 hours and quit and I don't have any idea what to withhold.

Thanks!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From an employment law standpoint, they are all employees, who are due wages, and technically all payment of wages has to go through your payroll system. Your question is really a tax issue, and I would suggest that you consult with your accounting firm or tax adviser who may be able to advise you whether there is some level at which you can assume de minimis non currat lex (the law takes no account of trifles).

David E. Nagle
    Editor, Virginia Employment Law Letter
    [email]dnagle@leclairryan.com[/email]

• Welcome to the forum. I'm not a payroll expert but I can tell you the W-4 form clearly states on the back page "Failure to provide a properly completed form will result in your being treated as a single person who claims no withholding allowances." Then the tax tables say any earnings less than $55 for a S-0 have a zero amount to be withheld. I'm guessing the people who only work a few hours don't make $55 total, so zero withholding would seem right. It's the amount of money you owe them that counts, not the number of hours they work.

Without knowing more about your hiring process, we forumites can't help much with your turnover problem. I would like to think you are taking them out of the interview office into the work area and letting them see exactly what the job entails. Perhaps you can talk to those who have quit and get their feedback. After all, it was a waste of their time too. You may have a supervisor out there who treats them badly, inadequate tools, etc. If you're paying minimum wage for a hot, dirty job, you're doomed to high turnover.
  • Thanks for all the information!

Yes, we know we are pretty much doomed to high turnover. This industry typically doesn't pay very well and it is hard work, but we usually start people off about $3.00 above Minimum. The problem is that most of our applicants are women ranging from 20 to 60 years old who have the misconception that working at a nursery is going to be like working in their gardens at home. We do give them all the gory details when they apply (long hours, work in the rain, work in the sun, work in the dirt, a lot of bending and lifting, etc. - sometimes I wonder why most don't withdraw their application after that) and give them a 15-20 minute "crash course" in the field. Yet, the most common reason we get is "it wasn't what I expected" or "it was harder work than I expected."

Thanks again!
  • I know I'm not familiar with your labor market area; but, I suggest you quit targeting 20 to 60 year old women. Contact the athletic director at the school and ask them to get the boys and girls coaches involved in locating good candidates for you. All the nurseries down here hire from that group predominantly and it appears the kids both need the money and are 'incentivized' by their coach to keep their butts at work. Have the students show up on an early Saturday morning and show them exactly what is expected and required. Just a thought.
  • Don is right. Here in Wisconsin, if you are looking for help with baling hay, you call the local football coach and get names of kids who need the work and the work-out. The same would work for a nursery. Here high school and college kids would die for that type of job. You may be able to work with the local high school to work out a work-study program. We have students who go to school half days and work half days in a transition to work program. This would be a win-win situation for both you and the students.
  • Great ideas! We'll have to give that a try!

Actually, some of our best and most dependable workers are 20-60 year old women, so we don't want to ignore that market. Its just that there are a lot that don't make it.
  • Hey, I'm married to 'a woman between 20 and 60' and she works pretty hard. But, your figures indicated your turnover approximates 50% with that group. If that's true, you should take a look at other solutions. x:-)
  • JRMVT:

I hate to state the obvious, but what about a temp agency? They specialize in solving your stated problem, i.e., providing employees that you don't necessarily want to put on your payroll.

Our company, located in GA, routinely needs short time help in working with our manufacturing suppiers in VA. We need strong, reliable workers to work 1-6 weeks, organizing & loading our seasonal material. We send a company supervisor, but rely totally on local temp agencies for the bulk of the workers; no taxes, no workers'comp fees, no social security/medicare, no payroll issues, etc. If things go well, we provide a small bonus at the end of the job, which rewards the workers and also encourages the temp agency to get us the best available workers the next time we call. You can even set up an on-going relationship with one or two temp agencies. They would love to have an annual contract where they know they can provide 20 workers on a regular basis. You usually get people that are out of work, but quite often will get individuals that only want seasonal or part time work. Good luck!
  • As I mentioned earlier, have you ever considered the "temp to perm" type of employment. You could work with a temp agency and you find your summer employees and then have an agreement with the temp agency to payroll them for a period of time. Then if they work out you take them over. Normally temp agencies will be glad to do this (and won't require the 3 months on their payroll if you find them and do all the up front work.) Can possibly save work and headaches for you and the person you are considering. Yes you pay a little more for a few weeks, but could be worth it in the long run.
    E Wart