Salary Survey's

My supervisor has asked me to do a salary survey. Does anyone have any procedures or sample copies of a survey that might help me get started. We are a community action non-profit agency. We have teachers, assistant teachers, program aides, nutrition providers, bus drivers, administrative positions etc. Thank you!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 08:14AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Since I'm in manufacturing, my form wouldn't be very helpful. But, here's what I recommend as a start for you and what I might do if I were in your shoes. Draft a brief letter and send it to other places of employment that you know of who share specific job positions with your company. Don't include jobs that are not shared in common.

Make your letter upbeat and make it an invitation to them to participate in a simple survey that will benefit all of you in staying competitive with your wage structure. Include something catchy, like: "Are you paying too much....or not enough?" This first letter hopefully will get their attention and show them the benefit of participating. Then a followup phone call and then get with one or two of the others and come up with your form and make it simple: common occupations, start step, range, a few benefits items and that's it.

There are several unwritten rules about salary surveys. Here's a few: Most of them go in the garbage. Never send them out blind hoping for participation. The simpler the better. You get the widest participation when you show the greatest benefit to your audience. Always promise and do send a copy of the final results to all participants without identifying any of them on your results page. Promise and deliver anonymity.

Good luck and let us hear how it went.
  • HRgal,

I don't know how much of your agency's resources management is willing to invest in the endeavor, but I do know a company that collects and publishes regional and industry specific compensation and salary data reports. I'm sitting here looking at the 2004 Edition for Non-Profits in the Mid-Atlantic Region (DC/Delaware/Maryland/Virginia). The cost of the professionally collected and compiled data is not as bad as you might think (a couple of hundred bucks) -- and quite often you can purchase (and even borrow) them at a savings through Non-Profit Associations which I wouldn't be surprised if your organization already belongs to. What state are you in? If you would like, I would be glad to forward to you the name and phone number of the company.

Geno

• I'm not sure what Kansas DOL has, but here is a link to Nebraska's DOL site, specifically "Career Compass" where one can search for wage info. This is to give you an alternate method of gathering some "neighborhood" info from up north. :>)

[url]http://www.dol.state.ne.us/nwd/center.cfm?PRICAT=4&SUBCAT=4C&APP=4C4&action=career[/url]

In my previous non-profit life, I luckily worked the "off" years between surveys, so I don't know how we did it. From the ones I filled out, here's what I remember:

There was a list of jobs and brief descriptions, and I just filled in the ones where we had a comparable job. I believe they usually used ranges, although since it's anonymous, an actual $ isn't all bad. Also ask for years of service - a case manager who has been there 20 years will be making much more than one who's been there six months!

As for your mailing list, hit up the other CAPs in Kansas, and also non-profits in your "area" - however you define that. Think of the agencies you collaborate with or even just cross paths with (public and private). Also, what about places where your current employees came from, and places where your employees leave to go?

Don is right on about sending results. That was one of the main reasons I would participate in surveys.

Just some thoughts - hopefully we can help you get started!
  • Thank you for the information. I will check out the sights you listed. I really enjoy the forum. We do have a state association and I have emailed them. We are starting to write the survey and I will keep it simple and send the results to those who respond!!