Tardy Employees and PPT use

Hi Everyone,
My company has an attendance policy w/ a point system. Employees earn 64 hours of paid personal time per year which must be used in a 1 hour increment, after the initial hour for the occurrence, personal time is applied in 15 minute increments.
If an employee is tardy they incur 1/3 pt. (for up to one hour tardy) Currently, if they are running late and they do not want to incur the 1/3 pt. they can use 1 hour of personal time and arrive at 9:00 a.m.
My question is do any of you have a system similar to this and if so, do you allow employees who are running late to use the personal time and then clock in while they are still on personal time (i.e. John is scheduled to start at 8:00 a.m., he calls in because he is running late and says he is going to use 1 hour personal time, John then arrives to the office at 8:30 and is in the breakroom waiting for 9:00 a.m., would you let him clock in at 8:30 a.m. and still use the 1 hour personal time so he does not accrue the 1/3 point or do you have him wait until 9:00 a.m.).
My thoughts on this is that the 1 hour is their personal time and should be used as such, I would not want employees to begin feeling pressured to clock in early when they are on personal time. Additionally, if they run out of personal time later I would not want them saying but on such and such day(s) I clocked in during my personal time.
Any reply and thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Tina

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Your policy is plenty generous already. Let 'em cool their heels until 9:00 - they can use the time to think about getting to work on time tomorrow. x}>

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Thank you James, I agree. This whole situation came up because we had an employee who was late Monday and she arrived at 8:30 and decided to eat breakfast until 9:00 a.m., an executive saw her in the kitchen and told her she should go ahead and clock in. The employee explained that she was on personal time so as not to incur the point, and the executive told her she should clock in anyway. Obviously, this executive did not read our policy but she also is the type that feels that you should work every second of the day on business items and micro manages people by timing their personal calls, easedropping on conversations, etc...

Ahhh, sometimes it feels so good to vent and get it out.

Thanks Again, Tina