Second Shift Holiday, PTO and Vacations

Our company gives us Thanksgiving and the day after off as paid holidays. We have a second shift that works 4 10-hour days (Monday-Thursday). I was wondering how other companies treat these holidays for those people.

Our owner wants to have the second shift work three 8-hours shifts and get paid 16 hours holiday pay. The workers feel they should work their normal two 10-hour shifts and get two days off for holiday. They feel that if first shift gets two days off, so should they.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Now, isn't that just typical !

So if these workers get their way, then they only had to work 20 hours for two days off and everybody else had to work 24 hours for two days off.

Here's how I see it. Those workers enjoy the benefit of working 10-hour shifts. They're asking for two days off of that shift which would give them 20 hours holiday pay. Not 'fair' (I hate that word) to the others who will only get 16 hours holiday pay. Why can't they work Monday, Tuesday regular shifts and a short 4-hour shift on Wednesday? Or use the owner's idea. They just can't have it all.
  • I hope I am understanding your question correctly. If our employees work anything different than the 8-5 M-F work week, they are paid their "normal" pay for any day that we are closed that is their normal work day. If we close and not their normal workday, they don't get paid. (They would have already gotten their 40 hours pay) We are paid 9 holidays x 8 hours = 72 hours. (8 scheduled and one floating) This is how it would work for a 10 hour Monday-Thurs worker for 2005.

New Year's Eve Friday 12/31/05 - They don't work on Fri. No Holiday Pay
    Mon 5/30/05 Memorial Day - paid 10 hours
    July 4th, 7/4/04 Monday - paid 10 hours
    Labor Day 9/5/05 Monday - paid 10 hours
    Thanksgiving Thursday & Friday 11/24 & 25/05 - Paid 10 hours for Thurs. No Holiday pay for Friday
    Christmas - 12/23 & 12/26/05 Friday & Mon. - No pay for Friday 10 hours on Monday.

If I calculate this correctly, this is 50 hours.
    Then they would have 72-50 = 22 hours that they can use for floating holiday time. (Will have to work out with them minimum amount of time per absence... don't want 1 hour at a time.) This way if they still have their 40 hour weeks paid and that get the same amount of holiday time as any other employee.
    This can be adjusted for someone who works less than 40 hours a week as well.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if questions (ewarthen@newcombspring.com)

E Wart
  • This won't really help you, but it's what we did:

Thanksgiving - days gets Thursday/Friday off, our 2nd runs Sunday-Thursday so they get Wednesday/Thursday off.

Christmas - days gets 1/2 day Thursday and all day Friday, 2nd gets 1/2 day Thursday (and they're coming in at noon/off at 5 instead of in at 4:30 off at 9:30) and all day Sunday.

New Year's - days gets all day Friday, 2nd gets all day Sunday.

Bottom line, it's a morale issue. Figure out what you're comfortable doing, and if you can, give them some options as to how to handle. You're between a rock and a hard place (I'm extremely familiar with that spot!) trying to keep both sides from ticking off the other.

Tell them they are already only working 4 days per week vs. days' 5 days schedule. Offer to let them use vacation pay to make up the difference if they want two whole days off. Get creative if you can. And finally, figure out a policy and put it in your handbook! :>) Good luck.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-24-04 AT 10:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have two employees who work 4-10 hour days each week. We only get Thanksgiving off as holiday pay. Everyone gets 8 hours paid for the Holiday. Doesn't matter what hours they work or don't work.

Our two 4-10 hour employees will either work two extra hours (10 M, 10 T, & 10 W + 2 hours) at any time during that week to get to their 32 hours + the 8 hour holiday or use 2 hours leave time.

I have had one of them mention that they should be paid 10 hours for the Holiday, but I told him that everyone gets paid the same benefit of 8 hours for the Holiday and it's not fair for some people to get 2 extra hours paid as a benefit when they already have the benefit of working 4-10 hours days instead of 5-8 hour days.

If a holiday falls on a Friday when the 10 hour people don't normally work, then they shorten their week in order to have 32 hours regular time and 8 holiday.

Alot of places don't even pay Holiday pay unless you are scheduled to work.

I'd give the 2nd shift 16 hours of Holiday pay and have them make up the other 24 hours anytime during that week.

Let them know that what they are really asking for is 2 hours paid EXTRA each Holiday when the standard for the company is 8 hours Holiday. If I could get the extra 2 hours off paid and our company pays 6 holidays a year then I wouldn't have to work 12 hours each year BUT get paid for it! Sounds like a good deal if an employer is stupid enough to fall for it. x:D