Non-exempt employee travel

I am interested in travel policies that cover time paid and expenses for non-exempt employees traveling for the company.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have nothing in our policy that distinguishes between exempt and non-exempt, all the same expenses are covered. The only difference in practice is that non-exempt employees are paid OT for the time it takes them to get to and from their destination, assuming it adds time to their normal work day.
  • Yep, same here, we don't have a "policy". However, we pay travel time same as if it was time worked and we reimburse the ee's for their expenses; such as meals and motels. If travel time causes them to go over 40 we pay OVT for all hours over 40.
    Dutch2
  • Same with us, but remember, if a non-exempt employee travels (out of town/overnight) on a non-scheduled work day, you do not have to pay them for that time.
  • I agree with amwkim's point.
  • So if you have non-exempt employees traveling during non scheduled work hours, do you pay them? And if that puts them over 40 hours do you pay OT?
  • We don't pay for time spent traveling from the non-exempt employee's home to the designated meeting spot or the airport, bus terminal, company owned vehicle, etc. We also don't pay for the return trip to their homes from these places. We only pay for travel time while on an airplane, bus, boat or company owned vehicle in three cases: 1. If the travel time occurs during normally scheduled work hours. 2. If the travel time occurs during their normally scheduled work hours and that travel time is done on a Saturday or Sunday (our folks don't work these two days). 3. If they are required to work while they are traveling (usually occurs if they are a passenger on a plane or in the car, etc.). While they are at the worksite or seminar site, they are only paid for the entire time they are working, except meal periods (unless during these meal periods they have to work or be on call). If any of the conditions exist above that require us to pay the non-exempt person & they have worked over 40 hours during the pay period, we pay OT. I recommend that you review the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries website for futher review and research.