Reporting Timesheets

I work for a non-profit agency. Currently I handle all payroll and human resource issues.

Our timesheets are completed manually and payroll is semi-monthly. The only thing in our Policy and Procedure Manual is "Each staff member shall submit a bimonthly timesheet for supervisory approval on or efore the first workday following the last day of each pay period."
Recently we had a supervisor falsify her own timesheet to reflect that she was at the office all afternoon when she actually left early. She left her office door open and the light on and told her employee to close it at the end of the day and if anyone asked she was running errands for the agency. She would then allow that employee to leave early the next day. The employee orginally completed her timesheet correctly showing her self leaving early the next day. The supervisory changed it, to show the employee had come in early, so she would not have to take any leave, and had the employee inital the change. Due to the fact the employee fears retaliation, she signed it.

My questions is since the above is all that is in the policy manual, is there any federal law that covers falsifing time worked?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just because you don't have a specific policy that demonstrates this scenario doesn't mean that you can't discipline her. Do what's right policy or no policy. I would suggest you update your policy to reflect falsification of records may result...blah...blah. I would fire the supervisor and depending on how you found out, discipline the employee.

You may have trouble with UI, but I'd rather deal with that than have a lying, cheating, stealing supervisor.
  • Thanks I will pass that on to her supervisor.
  • i hope you fired the supervisor and the employee - i also hope you have a clause in your employee handbook that falsifying time sheets is ground for immediate termination. why would any company allow such behavior - how do you justify lying????

• Reprehensible!

Ironically, the supervisor is probably an exempt employee and would get paid for the whole day anyway. I would definitely discipline the supervisor which might include termination, but I would need a bit more investigation as to what is going on here and how long it has been happening before taking that step.

As to the staff EE, I would determine how long she was involved with this plan and act accordingly. The supervisor appears to be more culpable, based on your description, than the EE and would have harsher discipline applied, especially since she is in a position of authority and appears to be directing the fraud. Again ironically, because the supervisor is unlikely to be paid by the hour, thus no apparent additional monetary cost to her leaving early, but the staff EE is probably hourly, so that falsification would cost the company the dollars.

The more I type, the madder I get at the supervisor. I would investigate, and probably recommend termination unless there is some mitigating facts of which I am not currently aware.