Punching in early

If an employee is scheduled to work 8am -- 5 pm and punches in at 745am or 750am are you required to pay for that time?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Short answer: I would.

First thing to look at is if he might be using the time to prepare for work (donning PPE, preparing his workstation, etc.) If not and he's doing it for convenience, I would caution him against punching in early without authorization and follow your disciplinary process if the problem continues.

• Technically, legally, yes. Employers are allowed to round up and round down as long as the result is not disadvantageous to the employee. But, if you allow people to clock early or late, but don't pay them, and are later challenged, the time card will rule the decision by the DOL. This is a disciplinary offense and should be handled accordingly. We initiate a progressive discipline process if someone punches in earlier than 3 minutes. We have badge swipe stations all over the facility and anybody can swipe in in accordance with our policy. People who you let clock early may be sitting under an oak tree waiting for 8:00 and later claim to have been working on all those days.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-30-04 AT 11:56AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe. I would hold a conversation with this ee, along with all other hourly ee's, and explain that unless they are asked to come in early to work, they will not be compensated for the time not worked, i.e., punching in early. Document this conversation and have the employees sign off that they understand unless asked to come in and work early they will not be compensated. I would then educate the supervisor because if the ee's are actually working you must compensate them for time worked and the supervisor should be aware of this. The supervisor also needs to be clear that no unauthorized work is permitted and those who do can and should be disciplined.

Now, if this ee is actually working you must pay for time worked, but make it clear that this cannot continue and hold em to it!

• yes you must pay them if they work. the rest is a discipline issue.

• dynamite's right...... fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Pay for the time and then discipline for improper clocking, absence of approval, whatever your policy provides.