Comp Time Alternatives

Are there any alternatives to comp time? I understand that comp time must be taken within the same pay period. However, doing otherwise is so appreciated by employees. Has anyone discovered creative ways around this rule?

Thanks.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Creative, yes. Legal, no. Other than in the public sector.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-19-04 AT 04:11PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Evo, if what you are doing is allowing an hourly, non-exempt employee who works more than 40 hours in the first work week of a pay period to take time and a half off of the following work week week of the same pay period, while still paying the full wages for a 40 hour week, the more appropriate term is flex time.

Cmp time tradtionally means accrued time palced on the books that can be taken off later at any time. What you are talking about may be done under strict limitations under FLSA (but may be not under all state wage and hour laws).
  • Thanks for your response.

I am talking about employees who are non-exempt, who occasionally work more than than normal 35 hour work week (and at times more than 40) and want to take the time (or time and a half) off in comp time at a time later than the pay period.

I understand that this is not allowed, but was hoping that I was missing a legal way around this to accomodate business needs.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-20-04 AT 03:24PM (CST) by James Sokolowski (admin)[/font][br][br]Creative ways to get around the law, well I have not found one, when it comes to hourly employees in the private sector and I do not recommend one look for ways to circumvent the rules.

In government arena I believe you are correct that you can adjust within the next pay week. In the private sector, one can reduce tomorrows work schedule for any reason, and working longer hours today may be one of those reasons, if you tell the employee before they go home or before they prepare to come to work the hours to report for work with in the same pay week. When the company does this we begin to cause lots of personal problems and we enlarge the windows for error. Errors in pay is the one most disliked events with any ee, thus we try to keep this kind of turmoil to as little as possible.

I hope this helps. In the State of California O/T is also paid on the daily hours worked so I do not believe there is any romm for adjustment in the same or the next day!

"DANDY PORK" it is so good!
  • In the state of NJ the DOL regs state that all non-exempt employees must be paid for all hours worked in a work week and must be paid for those hours in that pay period.
  • evo:
    Use caution in your pursuit of creative ways to avoid the hit of FLSA. Microsoft learned this lesson the hard way and even tho they weren't dinged for overtime avoidance, there isn't much state or federal tolerance for depriving employees of their statuatory right to overtime pay.
  • What you CAN do is if they work a 40 hour work week and have worked 40 hours by the end of Thursday, they may take off Friday with no pay and no harm. If your policy allows for that. But it must be within the same work week, not pay period. This is for NJ employers.