Shift overlaps

I work in the healthcare industry and am curious what other employers do in the situation when a shift begins in one workweek and ends in another. Our workweek is 12:01 am Sunday to 12:00 midnight Saturday, the night shift is 7:00pm to 7:00am. Overtime is calculated on a 40 hour workweek. On Saturday night, when the workweek ends, do ee's working the night shift clock out then back in (for the new workweek) or calculate their overtime including all 12 hours in the same workweek? Our time clocks include all hours for that shift in the same workweek unless ee's clock out.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In this situation, we have always counted the entire last shift of the week. So in your situation, the employees start at 7:00 Saturday night, the time would be counted on the week the shift started.
  • How have you been calculating OT?? You will need to be consistent in what you have been doing or there might be that one disgruntled EE that feels they may be due OT.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-13-04 AT 08:10AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have been including the shift in the workweek it began however, we are now in the process of revising policies. Appearantly there has never been a policy in the past that defines workweek, OT, shift diffs, etc., so I was inquiring what other companies practiced and if anyone knew of any FLSA regs that applied.
  • Our shifts all count for the day they started. If somebody starts on a Saturday and end on a Sunday, it's counted as Saturday time.

If an employee leaves the building for lunch (after midnight) and comes back on Sunday, it's still part of the Saturday shift so some adjustments need to be made, but it still counts as Saturday.

I hope that is clearly explained.
  • It does not matter how you calculate time as long as you are consistent. In other words, if a certain method costs the employer overtime one week but does not pay it the next due to how the shifts fall, that is OK. However, if you change it to your advantage, it is not OK. Your workweek should be regular, predictable, and equal to seven days.