Time card for exempt employee

I have been told that one of our exempt employees is taking extended luch hours and if ofter tardy. I was witness to at least two occurrences. I would like to have her start using a time card just as a record of her work time. She would continue to still be paid on a salary basis. Any wage and hour issues here?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is nothing wrong with that under FLSA. It's just a hassle and can cause confusion that you are paying based upon what is on the time card.

Why don't you just "gram" the employee each time she is late and cautioning that the employee is subject to disciplinary action?
  • We are in separate parts of the building. The only way I know she is late is if I happen to go to her department when she's not there, or if one of her subordinates tell me. They are very reluctant to do that. They prefer to complain about it to other associates who can't do anything about it. Human nature I guess.

I think you and I are the only HR people working today. Happy Independence Day!
  • "Gram." Yes.

To issue a memo....the word isn't used as much as it used to be for this purpose.
  • We use timecards for our mid-level management exempt employees and down. We use it primarily for FLMA, worker's comp and 401(k) hour tracking. They still get their regular salary, but it makes a nifty record of coming in late, leaving early, extended lunches, and, on the flip-side, a record of exactly how much extra time they are putting in when it comes to bonus time. They sign the timesheets every pay period, so we have a written acknowledgement of their time records - which has come in handy a few times. Stops the denials in their tracks.

I highly recommend it, as long as it is arranged to be as convenient as possible - we use the credit card type swipe cards, and the employees can leave them in the rack or carry them around. It should also be across-the-board for the staff level to be consistent.

• FRENCHIE: This is a performance issue for 1 thought. If the EXEMPT employee is a concern for her comings and goings it is the responsibility of the controlling/concern Department Manager and not for the concerns of the HR/or payroll person.

I do not know the first thing about the comings and goings of any EXEMPT employee. They are paid a salary whether they are at work or not / late or early or not. When a manager ask me, I make sure they understand HR is not the Time keeper nor the Time policeman. If they never tell me they let someone off for personal reasons, then we never know and the paycheck simple rolls off to the employee. This way we stay clear of personal concerns and conflict with EXEMPT salaried employees and their supervisors.

If you have a PTO plan then get the manager to let you know when some missed hour or hours is to come off the individual's PTO accum total.

Hope this helps you. I would get out of the middle of these types of issues and concerns, we in HR have enough issues on our plates without the watching of the "comings and goings" of EXEMPT employees. I also stay out of the middle of time clocking issues. I tell the management through company policy and procedures how we deal with time issues. We pay what is on the time clock, if they have someone reporting late or early it is their worry. We pay the time recorded and discuss issues with the management person over the department time cards. Management must deal with the issues, the "comings and goings"! Our life is so much more enjoyable not having to be the time keeper police.

PORK