Showing salary ranges

I was wondering how many of you out there give out an employee's salary range. We are a non-profit agency. I know the government does this, but I have heard from some others, it's not good practice.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How open you are pertaining to compensation issues is dependent on your company culture. There is a big difference between sharing salary ranges and salaries. I think most of us in HR see salary ranges as information that employees should know in order to make informed decisions about where they are in the range, whether or not there is growth, in terms of salary, doing what they are doing, whether to apply for another job opportunity in the company, etc. etc. Secrecy has its own disadvantages.
  • I agree with Gillian3. Revealing salary ranges for jobs should not be a big deal. Now if your job ranges are out of line (say you've got a Secretary whose range is greater than a Supervisor) then you can expect some negative feedback from those who feel their position is mis-classified.

You may also want to check if your non-profit agency is subject to the same laws that government agencies are, mainly being that everything is public record, and you have no right to keep certain info private.