PT to FT

One of our ee's is going on FMLA / Parental Leave for the birth of her baby. During this time a part-time ee is going to step up and go full-time to help cover for the absence, then return to PT after the other ee returns. We are considering making a letter of agreement with her for the 6 weeks of expect full-time work, to state exactly how much vacation/sick/PTO she is eligible for. (We do not usually do accrual based calculations - but in this case we feel it necessary) We are not sure if this is the best approach and we want to set a president for the next time this happens. How have you seen this handled or administered this type of situation?

Our Part-time ee's are not eligble for certain benefits or paid time off of any sort.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We would have the employee sign an agreement that they are temorarily increasing their hours for a specific time period. They would not accrue any time off as we would not change their status to FT. Our part-timers aren't entitled to PTO/benefits either.

If your employee were to go back to PT (as I'm assuming there would not be a FT opening after the FMLA ee returns), how would you deal with PTO? Pay it out? Seems like too much trouble to me but perhaps others will have different opinions on this one.
  • I didn't think of the aftermath - I agree that paying out would be messy. Your way sounds much easier! If you can share with me the letter you use, I would appreciate it. My email is: [email]TMorche@parkplacemortgagecorp.com[/email]. I am still interested in hearing other peoples approach to this. Thanks!
  • If we were to do this, we would have a written agreement that it would be for a stated duration and that no benefits not available to part time employees would accrue to the employee. This would include no insurance and no vacation. Have you thought about how you would address the issue of her suddenly being eligible for group insurance?
  • Tmorche, I couldn't find an exact copy of our agreement (been a while since we last did this)but it covered the same points that Don's post above mentions.
  • I agree with Don and Juju. This is just a temporary arrangement where a part timer is covering extra hours. I would not give them any full time benefits, especially insurance!

I'd still put it in writing that they understand this and have them sign just to CYA.
  • Thanks a lot for all the commments. I think I am ready to handle the situation now, and I definitely want to get it in writing. Thanks!