Travel time payment

Could some please help me. My company does not have any policy on paying non-exempt employees for travel time.
What are the policies governing the payment of wages for non-exempt employees who are away on training? Are they paid for time missed from work or are they paid based on training time? And do they get paid for travel time(time they took to get to the training point?
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-04 AT 04:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Go to the FLSA regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations, Volume 29, Sections 785.27 through .41. These particular regulations discuss training time and travel time and when they are considered work time or not (29CFR785).

[url]http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/29cfr785_03.html[/url]

Of course check your state wage and hour law.

YOu may need to check out some resources on how DOL and the courts interpret the FLSA provisions and how your state labor agency and state courts interpret any state wage and hour law on travel and training time.
  • I have only one word to describe the FLSA rules on travel time: Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhh! x:'(

If you're an Employment Law Letter subscriber, you'll find some good articles on this in the Subscribers Area:
    [url]www.HRhero.com/lc/[/url]

Good luck. You'll need it. x;-)

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com