Unauthorized Overtime

I have an employee who has been warned many times that overtime is not authorized. She claims that
her overtime is justified however she does not provide proof of the work. We have asked her to sign a contract stating she will not work overtime and she has refused. What recourse do I have?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you have not actually documented the "warnings" that would be the first step to take. Actually give her a written warning and put it in her file -- in it state something along the lines that working further unauthorized overtime will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination -- and make sure she signs the warning. Then follow your disciplinary process and make sure that you are consistent with other staff who might be working overtime.
  • I always tell new employees in our orientation program that they should not work overtime unless it is authorized by their supervisor. However, if they do work overtime, the company must pay them for it, but they can be terminated for disregarding company policy. Only they can make the judgment call if it's worth possibly losing their job over.

They usually look at me with huge "deer in the headlight" eyes, but it gets the point across.
  • The 'contract' idea is the worst of all possible ideas. Tell her the rules, write her up if she breaks them, fire her if she repeats the infraction. How many steps your process has is totally up to you. I'd recommend something like a verbal (which you reduce to writing for your file), a written warning signed by both of you and termination after that one. the written warning should state the infraction, what is expected and the consequence (possible termination) of repeat infraction. She signs or some other supervisor signs acknowledging that the discipline occured and you sign. Short and sweet or she's gone.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • Don D's advice is good. Your EE has sucessfully stretched the envelope to a shape you do not like and you are letting her get away with it. It becomes a question of who is running the asylum, the inmates or the administration?
  • A lot of good advice here. Glad I tuned in. It will help me with a very similar situation at our company.

A woman (20-yr employee) is constantly pushing the limit with her work hours. It's like I have to keep watching her like a toddler to see if she's going out of bounds. She knows she's being watched and it seems she likes the attention so she keeps it up. Kinda of a "catch me if you can" attitude.

I'm her supervisor but do not have the authority to fire her...only the VP can fire. I have a stack of e-mails that have been sent to her about these infractions and general notices to all employees on what to do an not to do regarding work hours. It is reflecting badly in her performance review that she will receive next week but other than that, there's nothing else I can do.

• Very unusual set up and sounds like it is quite unproductive. I would like to think that a supervisor should be able to fire someone. I know a VP with some control issues and he/she is probably on their way to your office to look over your shoulder.
  • Yep...it's frustrating to say the least.