Holiday pay on weekends

Do I have to pay an ee holiday pay if the holiday is on a non scheduled work day?

My policy states : Each regular full-time ee on active payroll is entitled to the following paid holidays: New Years, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My question is should I revamp my policy to state: Each regular full-time ee on active payroll is entitled to the following paid holidays if they fall on your regular scheduled work day?

My office is closed on Sundays and only 1 dept. is opened on Saturday. We only close when the post office is closed. Here's an example:

The fourth of July is on a Sunday, our company is opened on that Monday. Do I have to pay my ee's holiday pay even though that is not a regular scheduled day to work?

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks
-T

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From the way you worded your post about what your ocmpany policy says, it sounds as if your company pays the holiday even if it occurs on the weekend.

If all employees work the exact same days, e.g., Monday through Friday, then you could have a policy as your re-write suggests. But if some emplyees work on Staurday and others don't, then you need to just give floating holidays. Or, your company could make it so that holidays that occur on Satuday will result in the company being closed for a paid holiday on Friday and holidays occuring on Sunday, will result in the company being closed for a paid holiday on Monday.

It all depneds on what your company's basic position is on paid holidays.
  • If I reword my policy to the above stated, can I elect to only pay those regular scheduled Saturday ee's for the Saturday holiday. (that being their regular scheduled work day), or I could get them to come in on their off day during the week so they can have 40 hrs and not pay anyone for the holiday.

Our business cannot close on Monday or Friday if the postal service runs.

Thanks.

-T
  • T, your current policy tells employees that you'll pay them to stay home six days a year. H'man gave you some good advice how to juggle the schedule.

Your second message, however, says you want to eliminate these holidays whenever possible (they have to work 40 hours). That's your right as the employer unless you have a union contract or some other restriction. But your employees will be madder than a wet cat.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • T: You ain't foolin' me. The way you want to operate is certainly legal. That's the least of your worries. You can do what you propose and screw people out of holidays and then you'll be back on the Forum in 4 months asking us why your turnover is so danged high. Get with the progam and think of ways to reward employees and have employee-friendly policies, not how to cut corners and increase your personal bonus by $15 bucks a quarter. Your buddy, Don x:-)
  • WOW -- I guess you told me how the cow eats cabbage!

Thanks for the insight, you scared me right into paying the ee for those holidays. (How do you put that little smiley face on?)

Thanks.
    -T
  • "How the cow eats cabbage"? I love that phrase, even tho I'm not certain what it means. x:D

As for the smiley face: when you're typing a message in the box, look up for "Emotion Icon shortcuts." Full instrux are here if you need them:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/help3.shtml#smiley[/url]

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • James: I remember my dad and granddad and some uncles who used that phrase. Theirs was, "I'll show you how the cow ate the cabbage." Which we always knew we were just about (fixin') to get a lecture in the mechanics of something really simple and they were going to drill each and every little piece of it home into our thick little skulls. I reckon' a 'cow eating cabbage' is a pretty simple process.....for a cow. So my relatives thought they would sit me down and instruct me in the process. But, guess what; no instruction ever followed. It was a hollow remark because they probably didn't know how either. It's akin to a 'come to Jesus meeting', that one might have with a subordinate or wayward teenager. What can I say....It's a Mason-Dixon thing. I reckon' I'm fixin' to be outa here anyway in a short.