Ideas to improve performance Evaluations

My company currently uses a written appraisal form that tends to lump everyone toward the middle of the scale. Many of my managers get frustrated trying to show who is a top performer vs. an average or below average worker. Do you have any ideas on how to improve this situation?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Rodney.............where are you??????????????

Kidding aside, written evaluations are very hard to quantify. You could start by setting goals at each review and give a "score" based on that. However, some goals are harder that others so it may still be difficult to quantify. Ideally, everyone's goals in a department are similar in difficulty and whoever gets the highest percentage wins. I'm not promising it will work, just throwing out ideas.
  • I have been trying to figure out what to do with our appraisal process. Our bell curve is not a bell curve...lol.
    However, my boss wants me to find out about SMART Goals for Supervisors. She says, this will improve the appraisal process and get a better rating.
    Does anyone have SMART GOALS? or is the Supervisor supposed to come up with the goals for their department?
  • We used SMART Objectives as part of program of Situational Leadership. These were written by each manager and reviewed by an outside consulting group to make sure they aligned with our corporate values. The form has 4 headers on it:

Desired Results (what)
    Responsible Person (who)
    Date Due (when)
    Method (how)

There seemed to be a miss on how to track the results. Also I don't think that an outside party is necessary to align them with your corporate goals.
  • One idea is to use four rating categories, instead of three or five, with no in-between or half ratings. This helps address the middle-marking tendency. Managers often take the middle mark as an easy out.
    One thing to consider, though, is whether the lumping in the middle is actually an accurate reflection of your employees. The nature of averages is that most people do, in fact, belong there. (Unless you're in Lake Wobegon and everyone is above average.) The highest point in a bell curve reflecting performance is right in the middle. Of course, I say that without knowing how bad your lumps are, or how unevenly spread out.
  • Thansk for your ideas. I will look at them accordingly.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-15-04 AT 06:44PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Newsflash! Performance evaluation tools, concepts and practices, typically result in 60%-70% of employees being pegged where you indicate. That's the typical Bell-Curve that results and is to be expected. What am I missing?

A common misperception is that an employee who meets expectations is 'Average'. Nobody wants to be classified as average. We have created that problem for ourselves.
  • Don D is correct. A speaker I recently heard indicated a three tiered scale. Excellent, Doing just fine, and Needs Improvement. The old 5 tiered scale is too much like the A,B,C,D,and F scale from school. My parents did not accept C's from me and promptly disciplined me whenever my laziness brought one home.
  • As several others have mentioned, having a clump in the middle is a perfectly normal distribution.