In house payroll and HR software

I work for a non-profit agency, and we are facing major budget cut backs. We are currently outsourcing payroll and HRIS with ADP. I have been asked to research bringing payroll and HR "in house". We have approximately 150 employees. Does anyone have a product they are using that they are pleased with? If so, could you include the approximate yearly cost. Thank you. Just needing a place to start.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yikes. The idea of bringing payroll inhouse comes up occasionally and I fight it like crazy. I am no expert in this area and ADP is. (We use ADP too) I am happy to get the training I need to become an expert, but that means other areas would not have my attention. It also means we would take on some liability that we currently pass off to ADP.

Curious to see what the other forumdudes and forumettes have to say.
  • I suggest you shop around first. We used to be with ADP (we have 600+ employees), and we switched to Paychex and cut our payroll processing costs by 79%!

Bringing it in-house doesn't necessarily cut your costs to a level lower than outsourcing - think of the filing and reporting regulations, as well as the IT component.

Check with Paychex - they were significantly cheaper for us. You may also consider employee-leasing, which may cut not only your payroll costs but also cut your benefit costs (AND enable you to cut HR staff). There are a lot of small EE-leasing companies you can get some good deals with!

Good luck!

• Ask the following: Have the powers-that-be compared the potential savings of outside PR processing costs vs. the potential liability if a tax payment is made late or a tax form filled out wrong?

Our monthly processing costs are about $ 250 - for 30 employees using an outside PR processor. One screw up with a payment or form could easily cost us more than the yearly processing fee. The processing costs are money well spent.

Chari

• DO NOT repeat DO NOT GO WITH PAYCHEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There have been at least two threads on this site about how awful they are. When you call them they NEVER call back. They have screwed people PTO up, it took 3 days to do payroll because it could'nt work with our timekeeping system wich they told us it would. EVERY WEEK FOR TWO YEARS there was an error on their end that would cause us to do tons of research to figure it out and it was always their fault.When we terminated our relationship with them HR and finance had a big celebration with balloons and everything
  • What system did you end up using?
  • Pay Choice. Our timekeeping system is Qquest and we just check that for inaccuracies and then download into PayChoice. It takes about 45 min to do what used to take one person 3 days.
  • I don't know if you have talked with ADP about the costs and let them know you will be leaving unless they can cut their costs. I don't think you will get much, but worth a try. Also, you may want to get a price from Ceridian. That is who we use, but they are also expensive.
    One thing you may want to look at and recommend is the number of payrolls you do. Do you pay weekly, bi-weekly or monthly? You are charged per payroll run. If you are weekly, see if you can change this to bi-weekly and you will cut your cost about in half.
    Also, if you do it in house, do check on who will do your tax filings before you agree to this.
    E Wart
  • If going to an in-house payroll system, check into Great Plains/Dynamics. Over the past 10 years we used both Ceridian and ADP. Both were good products, but we decided to save money by doing it in-house with Great Plains. We are a small company of about 100 with a weekly payroll of about $60,000. It is a little more work, but you also have more control over day-to-day payroll issues, such as cutting a check for someone that was missed or someone who lost their check (it does happen) or perhaps someone who did't get their overtime and really needs the money, i.e., they can't wait until the next pay cycle or even the next day.

I'm not advocating any system, but if you are going in-house do consider Great Plains.
  • We have 85 employees. I use ABRA for HRIS. The payroll is outsources to Payroll Manager out of Madison, Wisconsin. We have had both ADP and Paychex. ADP switched us from their Chicago office to Milwaukee and everything went to hell. Then we went with Paychex and they made too many mistakes. Payroll Manager is a smaller outfit but they do an excellent job, and for less money too. Check with payroll processors in your state to find some local suppliers.
  • We are switching from ADP to KRONOS for both HR and payroll. It is expensive, but can do so much more and the reporting is much less tedious than ReportSmith with ADP.
  • We are looking at new time and labor management software and have reviewed both ADP and Kronos. We currently use E-Time timekeeping and ADP for payroll. We were impressed by Kronos and the ease of use and the interface to ADP payroll. However, we are concerned about future upgrades by Kronos and not supporting prior versions, thus forcing us to upgrade. When are you implementing KRONOS? Did you ask for and get any references from KRONOS? KRONOS would be cheaper because we could actually purchase the timeclocks instead of having to lease them through ADP -- do you currently use timeclocks through ADP?

Any insight that current users of ADP or KRONOS can provide would be appreciated.