International student worker 'hopes' to get paid

I have a international student worker who, when he graduated, somehow lost his "rights" to work or go to graduate school here. My manager has 'cut a deal' with him - he can volunteer at the helpdesk and they will try (no promises)and get him $$$ when (and if) he become eligible again (Nov.). I feel bad for the student who works 20+ hours a week - he needs the money. But the student is probably only 19 and somehow I feel that this is very illegal. Any thoughts?
This is a state run university in Texas.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think we need more info in order to give responses. "Only 19..graduated.." He has his bachelor's degree at 19 (good for him)? "Lost rights to work or go to grad school there". Has he been out of school for a year? Was he working there as a paid employee before your manager "cut a deal"? Have you seen his visa card?
  • More than likely he was on a student VISA, which does not convert to 'right to work' after graduation. It's not as though he 'lost' his right to work. He probably never had it. In my opinion it is not legal to employ him and withhold wages by pretending he is a volunteer and not having him seek legal avenues to work. What do you think would be the answer if half the women in Texas and California decided to 'voluntarily employ' domestic workers who were not legally qualified to work? Same thing in your case, in my opinion.

If you work at a state run university in Texas, there is a staff person working there full time whose responsibility includes muddling through these quagmires with non-resident alien students. Call your office of student affairs. I notice your screen name is the same forwards and backwards.
  • Yes, I believe that is what happened. He can not apply for graduate school, he cannot work - basically his choice is 'wait it out' or go home. His paperwork should be ready by November. Thank you for your reply.
    Aonnoa came from my previous employer - AON in Chicago. Needed a quick email address and picked that one for no particular reason.
    Now I am in a little town, having a problem with how things 'work' - none of which seem right.
    Thanks!
  • i think you are really opening your university up for liability and i.n.s. problems, and i wouldn't do it.