Exempt pay

We are a retirement facility that is feeling the shortage crunch of RN's. Due to this shortage we are considering asking an exempt employee who serves in a different position to fill in as a RN supervisor at an increased hourly rate. What would be the best way to handle pay? We do not want to increase her salary as this would be a temporary fill in. Can we pay an hourly rate when she would be filling this position?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I assume she is an Registered Nurse and as an RN supervisor, she'll still be exempt, right? Will the work be in addition to her regular job or temporarily replacing it entirely?

She she's exempt already, why don't you give her a bonus of some kind that will reflect the extra effort beyond her regular job duties.

• She is exempt already and will be taking on a temporary position which is an hourly position with a different rate of pay.

We would like to compensate her that hourly rate. We are not sure to what extent we will be using her in this position from pay week to pay week.

Can we assign her a second classification as non-exempt and pay her accordingly when she performs this position? If so how will overtime be looked at?

Chris

• We use "acting" pay for the situation you describe, which has worked well for us. We typically give a salary increase of 5% to 8% if the employee is within the salary range for the new position (or to the minimum for that position if they are not in the range)on a temporary basis for the period of time involved (determined in advance and communicated to the employee). At the end of that pre-determined period, the increase is removed and the employee reverts back to their regular pay status. The employee acknowledges they understand the parameters of the temporary pay increase by signing a document that is placed in their file.

• Chris; I don't think your question has been answered and I'm interested to know also if you can do what you propose. I would hope that your facility can let her work the additional time in a non-exempt role and pay her accordingly for that separate shift. I have worked with maintenance supervisors who are exempt who would also work weekends installing satellite systems and wiring on trucks and being paid an hourly rate for that weekend work while doing none of their exempt duties as supervisor. Maybe it was illegal, I don't know.
  • CHRIS: EXEMPTS ARE OWNED BY THE COMPANY FOR "25 HOURS A DAY AND 8 DAYS A WEEK"! IF MY COMPANY ASK ME TO JUMP IN AND SUPERVISE I WOULD HAVE TO DO IT, IF THE COMPANY THEN WANTED TO REWARD ME FOR THIS EXTRA OPPORTUNITY TO EXCELL AND USE MY GOD GIVEN TALENTS FOR THE BENEFIT OF/AND THE "WELL BEING OF THE COMPANY" THAT WOULD BE ICING ON THE CAKE.

Figure out what the extra duty is worth to the company and approach the individual with a one time bonus award for stepping up and hitting the ball for the team. You will probably want to approach first with no guarntee of xxx amount. From where I come from the approach to me of a need and can I help would probably be an overwhelming "YES, and where do you want me to report? From others a little younger the $$$ may have to come out early, but don't offer me a per hour wage to help the company, that would most likely get a resignation, because you did not ask me to help in this situation. You did not trust me sufficiently to ask me to use my training to help!

PORK