Overnight Conference/Training attendance for part-time employees

We have several part-time ees we would like to attend a three-day (two half days, one full day) conference/training session. They will be away two nights. We are unsure how to pay them for this conference. Attendance is not mandatory, but if they do not attend, they will not be able to work their regular job/hours for those days. Do we have to pay them for the entire time there are sessions offered? Do we pay them at the same rate of pay as when they work? Do we pay them for their travel time if it falls within their normal work hours? If we only require them to attend 4 hours of sessions and that is their normal daily work hours, are they entitled to pay in addition to those 4 hours? Just not sure how this works.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Its been awhile for me but from what i can remember - we paid regular rate of pay for hours of seminar if it fell within their normal work hours, e.g. (worked 8-5 and seminar held from 8-5) = 8 hrs pay. (We took the approach that although it was not mandatory attendance, we would have paid them if they worked). If we flew them to the seminar we did not pay travel time; however, if they drove (rental vehicle) we paid the driver for travel time for the time spent actually on the road to and from seminar if they traveled together.

hope this helps a little.
  • I believe you have to pay for travel time if it occurs during regular work hours. That's for all travellers, not just the driver.
  • Not making this a 'mandatory' attendance puts a different slant on what would be compensated, however:

1. By part-time, do you mean they are working only 1/2 days? If so, I would pay for 1/2 day (4 hours) that they are in attendance at a session at the seminar - even though you say this training is not mandatory. But then, you should not expect them to attend the other 4 hours of that day (if they want to go shopping). Pay the same rate of pay.

2. Travel time would not be compensated since this is an overnight stay, unless it cuts across the normal work hours and you can determine which 1/2 day is the normal work hours.

Will these employees be out their own money for meals or other costs while going to this seminar? While this is not mandatory attendance, it sounds like it is the desire of the company to have them attend and receive the training, which would then be a show of good faith to pay for all hours in attendance.