Office Administrator/Manager

My doctor always says to check and see what other offices are paying their Office Administrator/Office Manager, when it comes to my review time. This is a one doctor office, but very busy, he sees a lot of patients per day and I do the checks and books for the office and am the HR person, besides everything else an office administrator does. I'm in the midwest and my eval is due now, so please let me hear from you.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In south Louisiana, at a large medical practice, the office managers at each of the remote clinic were paid around $33,000. If the office was particularly small, say with only a couple of employees, that number dropped to $26,000. For a large office with several nurses and doctors it went to the high 30's.
    The Medical Group Management Association in Colorado was a good source of salary data for all medical occupations.
    Hope this helps.
  • See if [url]www.salary.com[/url] has anything that will help you.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I have used this site before but cannot find an option for translator - I am responsible for translating for/supporting our non-English speaking employees. Can you suggest a site that may include this? I also work with the HR Director, and he and I run the safety department (construction co.). Thanks!
  • Linda:

Are you translating, that is writing a translation, or are you interpreting by speaking in both languages? Translators are usually paid by the word; interpreters by the hour. Our freelance interpreters charge $35-$60 per hour, depending on both the language pair they work in and if any specialized knowledge of vocabulary is needed, i.e. engineering, medicine, law.

You can check out the American Translators Association web site at [url]www.americantranslators.org[/url]. This might be a good place to start. Or try the user group Lantra at [email]LANTRA-L@SEGATE.SUNET.SE[/email]. You can post a question about pay rates there.

Hope this helps.

Cammy
  • I count this as the best new thing I learned today. Thanks for that post Cammy!
  • Laureen: Can we assume that you will report the lowball figures to your guy, or will you report only the higher end? I know, I know....what a stupid question.
  • Check with your local unemloyment office -- they should have a report on salary ranges.
  • The survey information available from DOL or state employment security agencies is typically between 18 and 24 months old. I speak with some knowledge of that system of surveys since I lived almost an entire life in the system.
  • If the survey data is that old, then I would age it to get as close as possible. Aging survey data is a common practice in comp. This will help you even if the data is only 6 months old.
  • Sure, if you have some way of accurately guaging "how to" age wage data. Some use CPI as a guestimate. The most reliable data is that which you pay for as a result of participating in professionally conducted wage and benefit surveys. Not the type where an HR clerical employee just calls around to a few places nad exchanges information or that your employer group calls around and gets unscientifically. You never really have a way to guage the reliability of that. And since providing LMI to State Employment Security agencies is voluntary, the sample shown in the survey results is often so small or non-representative as to be not reliable. A majority of companies do not participate since they do not have to. And after the state agency gets the data, they crunch it and apply DOL Bureau of Labor Statistics guestimates and assumptions nationally to it. Reliable? Who ever knows?
  • What the heck...take what you're making now and add another $25,000! :)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-21-03 AT 10:10AM (CST)[/font][p]Hi, Cammy, I just saw your post and will try these sites. I do written translation (memos, letters, training materials), and I also do simultaneous translation for on-site and in-house training sessions. I also hire nonenglish-speaking folks, and any time one calls in with a question/problem, etc., I find the answer and call them back. Keeps me busy! I know for a fact that I will never get paid by the word - we used to have a spanish professor translate written documents for us at 13 cents a word. I'm saving them a fortune! Hey, anybody out there hiring? :)
  • According to salary data that I have access to, in Wisconsin, a General Office Manager would be paid between $40,000 and $44,00 depending on location in the state and number of employees.