No, You may NOT know my Salary!!!

I was recently asked by a co-worker what my annual salary was. This person is very respectable and I did not want to offend them by telling them that their question made me uncomfortable. (I hate to cause office drama). I ended up telling them my hourly rate and went back to my office with an extreme feeling of guilt and shame that I disclosed such personal information.

I feel as though if I had been more prepared for the question I would have given an answer that didn't make me want to hide from my other HR colleagues whose lips are probably tighter than rubberband on a newspaper.

Have any of you run into this problem with co workers? What answers have you given to these office "want to know it all's" that have workd for you with the least amount of confrontation?

I know it is human nature to want to know this type of information, but isn't it common sense not to ask?

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I always say that I'd rather not discuss my salary. Hopefully the person gets the hint and drops it. If you have a persistent nosey coworker, I'd turn it around to them and say, "How much do you make?" Usually it catches them off guard and they take the hint and drop it. This of course won't work with the "I have no secret" personalities. If they answer, you could always say, "I make around that too." Let them infer what "around" means.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-24-02 AT 01:28PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-24-02 AT 01:26 PM (CST)[/font]

My standard reply to anyone I don't want to answer is "It's on a need-to-know basis. When you need to know, I'll tell you." They usually smile and I change the subject.
  • My answer is much like the rest. "Are you writing a book? If you are then leave this chapter out and call it a mystery!" Usually followed by a befuddled look and subject change.
  • Now that I have been thinking about it and after reading your posts, How does this sound:

"I make around average for what an (title) makes in my industry"

I can use the "around" technique as suggested, while still giving an answer that doesn't use a specific number!

What do you think?
  • If that's what you're comfortable with, go for it! You are under no obligation to tell people anything personal about you.
  • You could always answer "How much do you earn?" with "Not enough if you ask me." That's always true for all of us, isn't it?
  • that's good! I like that better!

• Renie, In HR talk is always coming our way. I have always responded that those kinda of matters are personal and confidential and I do not discuss those with anyone and you should not either. I consider compensation and benefits to fall in the same area of concern; medical information is another. We just can not afford to become known as a communicator about confidential information regardless of how it makes some other person feel. Every one knows that I will bluntly tell them "it is none of their business" and to get to work or to do something productive or punch out and go home. My team members and I always maintain the highest standards of conduct in the HR arena and we are respected for that attitude. We are really never challenged for idle talk. Be tuff on this terrain. Pork
  • Hi Renie:

Not only is it common sense not to ask, but it used to be considered "poor taste" to ask people such questions.

If someone were this bold, I would just say "I'm sorry, but I don't discuss my personal business with anyone in the office."

To me, this equates to the same thing as asking someone how much money they have in their bank account.

If you really want to create havoc, you can always give them a seriously inflated salary and see how long it takes to get all over the office!
  • I disagree with all the answers that are any longer than four words, "Why do you ask?" If that doesn't get the message across and she follows up with asking it again, "I don't discuss that.", might be an alternative 4-worder. If you're really feeling generous, maybe try, "Now why in the world would you need that information?"
  • I guess I need to work on my toughness. I have no problem keeping other's information confidential, but I can see how disclosing my own information may bring down my credibility. I plan to be more careful in the future!

Thank you for all of your responses.
  • And only say it with an English accent!
  • .......Unless she's German, in which case, preceed it with "ACHTUNG"!!!
  • Each year when I review my staff, I close by having them sign a confidentiality agreement which includes this languauge:

"I hereby acknowledge that it is contrary to the Practices, Procedures & Policies of this firm to divulge any personnel information to other employees or to solicit such information, including information regarding compensation, and I further acknowledge and understand that a violation of this policy may subject me to disciplinary action, including termination."

It not only reinforces the policy but provides a reason to refuse the inquiry for those who are otherwise uncomfortable with saying "none of your business".
  • Indeed an acceptable practice Chris.....(during the 1980's!) Not any longer. The National Labor Relations Act actually makes illegal an employer's interference in employees' right to collectively bargain, including discussing among themselves salary and pay issues and other employment conditions. This applies to non-union and union environments and protects all employees not ineligible for union membership.
  • Hmmm...

My salary gets published in the newspaper once a year. What are you complaining about?

I don't get it, what's the problem?

Why are private sector employee salaries secret? You deserve it, right!?

I realize I may be coming across as somewhat crass, but really, why feel ashamed, or demeaned for answering someone's question?

Please help me understand the root of your dilema.

• I can't answer for the person who posted the original question; but, unless my job is a public-funds-paid position, the information is private, which is to say it's between me and the company, and it's simply none of the questioner's business. Nor does the person who has a right to not divulge confidential information requested by boorish people have to answer such questions as 'why not?'.
  • Sure, that's a reasonable response. If it's private, its private.

I guess I just don't now what makes it private, that's my own ignorance. I've always worked public sector, 10 years military, 10 other government, and have a slight disconnect as to why a wage is of matter. If the answer is as simple as it being private, that's certainly understandable.

peace

• Outside the public sector, where salary schedules and compensation tables are public information, or union jobs, I don't think you would find one person in one hundred who would be willing to discuss their salary outside perhaps a job interview. With the exception of the individual's current chain of command, the HR Department, the payroll/accounting function, Boards of Directors and officers of the company, all of whom have a 'need to know', this information is rarely, if ever, considered anything other than confidential. It's almost like "What color are you underwear?" What would anybody do with the information if they had it to begin with, and only Bill Clinton would answer the question. But, let me put the question in your court. Let's pretend you did retire from the military with 20 years. What was your rank and pay scale (although I could look that up) and exactly what is your retirement and tell me about your savings. See? This is personal, confidential information. Not my business. Have a good day. x:-)
  • My standard answer is: "A million six before my bonus,,,,not counting my expense account and Bmer." Then I go on to whatever it was I was doing.

Have some fun with it!
  • I LIKE that one Ed!! Unfortunately, here it is all public record and anyone can find out anyway. So much for privacy ;)
  • A little white lie never hurt, especially if it's my personal information. After I left my employment security job, my old friends there would tell me, "You know, we get the quarterly UI report and know what you make out there in the real world." I always answered. "Yeah, our report does reflect about half to two-thirds of total income. What you don't see is all the 401K money and bonuses and quarterly cash settlements and travel allowance and expense reports and things like that." They never had a clue I was BSing them. They live in a myopic world and have few clues about the real one. I think I still like my 'Old Mom's' answer which always was, "If you forgive me for not answering, I'll forgive you for asking."........Have a good weekend.
  • People like that are really only interested if you're making more than they - that gives them (they think) amunition for requesting a raise.
  • When I have been asked by someone (other than the co. president, of course) how much I make, I look at him/her and with a perfectly straight face say "I don't get a check. I get an invoice every two weeks."

It diffuses the volatility of the situation and if you hurry away, you avoid the issue altogether.