LABOR DAY PAY HELP?

OUR EMPLOYEES (FULL TIME) GET PAID EIGHT HOURS FOR HOLIDAY PAY, FOR LABOR
DAY, BUT IF THEY WORKED THAT DAY, HOW SHOULD I PAY THEM. WHAT IS THE LAW?
SHOULD I PAY THE 8 HOURS HOLIDAY PLUS THE TIME THEY PUT IN AS REGULAR TIME
OR OVERTIME? HELP DOING PAYROLL TODAY.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• Henry: First, you are due a bit of scolding for not finding out your answer until the last minute. The answer is that it depends on your company policy. Policies regarding holiday pay vary. Some allow an alternate day off if one works a holiday. Some policies require double pay or time and a half if one works a holiday. It would typically not be overtime unless they worked the day and the total hours worked during the workweek exceeded 40. If you do not have a policy or don't know what it is, you may be somewhat up the proverbial creek.
  • Henry, Don is right on again! Don't forget to read your policy to address those that took leave or had sickness associated with the holiday. Labor day is also a great hunting day and begins a week of much fun for those of us that can arrange to be off, but still get paid for it. Our policy allows for the individual to get paid for it, if: 1) he/she worked the day before and the day after not including week-ends if one was not scheduled to work the week-end. 2) one is on an excused day off or sick with supporting medical attention (excuse). Thanksgiving is coming getting it straight now on Labor day should make life easier in the future. Good luck Pork
  • My research into this topic found that the FLSA does not require any payment of "holiday pay" and suchlike. If an employee works on a published holiday (July 4, New Years, and suchlike) then only the regular pay is required for the 8-hr work day. (a nuance would be if s/he works 5 hours that day, then an additional pay of 3 hours at the regular rate would be required.) I tell my students the rationale is, "Your loving employer gave you six gifts last year of a full day's pay and you didn't have to work. Unfortunately, this year your gifts are only five!"
  • Our employees get paid the 8 hours for the holiday plus the number of hours that they actually work. Most of our employees in the field work on holidays, so many actually get double pay (holiday pay plus 8 hours worked). We have twelve paid holidays and we do the same for each.