transit authority question

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-04-02 AT 01:24PM (CST)[/font][p]Does anyone know of a regulation with the Federal Transit Administration that prohibits drivers from chewing and spitting tobacco while driving public vehicles? Our no smoking policy covers cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc., but we didn't expect this one and will need board approval to change the policy. But until the board meets, we need something to fall back on in asking this employee not to spit tobacco when he's transporting the public. I haven't been able to find any information on this on the FTA website.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think you will discover an FTA reg addressing the unhygienic practice of spitting tobacco while serving the public. I assume these people to be union; but, can't imagine that the employer will not be able to craft language in a policy statement to prohibit such practice. I would not bury this in a statement that refers to 'unacceptable' or 'offensive conduct'. You would later be called on to define that. I think these types of prohibitions should be spelled out clearly. So as not to be accused of discriminating against the users of tobacco, you might consider that the no-spitting policy should apply to everybody, regardless of what is being spat. Be prepared for a union challenge!
  • Thanks, Don. I appreciate your input. We are non-union and re-writing our no smoking policy to include no tobacco products, as well as addressing it as a safety issue. Spitting into a cup could be a distraction when driving in heavy highway traffic.