Breaks/rest/meal periods

In Georgia is an employer required to provide employees with a certain amount of break time? If so, what amount of time is required for 8 hour and 12 hour shifts?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can speak to the Federal (FLSA) rule. No break or rest time mandated for shifts less than 24 hours' duration; twenty minutes or less is "on the clock" time for non-exempt. I saw a good one recently: "Until morale improves, the floggings will continue."
  • Did anyone ever answer whether or not break periods are required in GEORGIA? The boss is requesting info as he thinks some employees are abusing their "smoking breaks"? Would really appreciate some input ASAP --
  • Go to the DOL website for Georgia, look under wage and hour and it will tell you what the break requirement if any is.
  • WB: May I recommend that you get a copy of Part 785 -Interpretative Bulletin on Hours Worked free from your friendly federal Wage & Hour folks. Sub Part C. Application of principles & 785.18 and 785.19 gives you the majic words to discuss with your bosses and any employee that chooses to confront you with "WHAT'S UP WE NEVER DONE IT THAT WAY BEFORE"! BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, most are amazed when I quote the law. GA law must at least satisfy the federal law. The GA law can can be more strict on the employer, on behalf of the employee. It can not however go the other way. Therefore, you must also know the GA law on all HR issues. Pork
  • Georgia does not require employers to give rest periods (breaks). 10 to 15 minute breaks are common and while they are not required, if they are offered they must be counted as hours worked.