Social Security cards

We recently implemented an integrated HR/Payroll system. Accounting had done all the data entry into the payroll system for years before. The Accounting manager still insists on entering the W-4 and direct deposit info into the system, although HR enters everything related to name, address, SS number, wage rates etc. and inputs all info. needed for the time clock system.

The accounting manager says that I shouldn't allow anyone to do new hire paperwork or work at all until I physically see their Social Security card and enter the payroll info. directly from it, making a copy for payroll files. I-9s give 3 days to see documents and then doesn't require that SS card be one of them. I agree there is less room for error in reporting, but I've never heard that we are legally required to see the SS card for payroll purposes. Is she right or just being a control freak??

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can understand why she wants to verify the SS cards but it really defeats the purpose. I have seen PLENTY of fake SS cards so if she is trying to reduce errors in tax reporting you will find no difference until the SS number gets bumped back which is then too late. I would suggest that if you are in the habit of verifying the IDs presented for I-9's, that would be the better way to go. Did you know that the INS has a manual with ID's in color to help identify fakes and tips on spotting fakes? I found it very helpful. Find out exactly why she wants this verified and see if there is a better way to achieve the objective.

• There is no law requiring you to physically see the social security card, although the IRS recommends the course of action your accounting manager recommends (physically see it and make a copy to reduce errors). Errors in recording the social security numbers of employees can subject the employer to an administrative fine ($50) per employee.

However, you might have a good, qualified appliant that has lost her card, but can provide the other forms of proof of right to work and knows her number. Then what do you do? The IRS recommends advising the employee to send away for a duplicate card and the employer can check the social security number and name by calling a 1-800 number, which you can find on the IRS website. (You can check up to five numbers by phone.)

Good Luck!

• Thanks, You described my dilemma which is the qualified person who has other proof for the I-9 and will go get a receipt for a new card etc. I think the accounting manager is just going by IRS recommendations in wanting to see them. We are just looking at the situation from two vantage points, and I wanted to be sure there wasn't some legal issue I was unaware of. We often call to verify numbers too.

I appreciate your help.