OK, I am venting

I have just finished a four day travel to all our facilities with our ins. broker to discuss the new HDHP/HSA plan. I had never traveled to the various sites before so I was a little excited and looking forward to meeting everyone.
Well, let me tell you I felt like I was put in front of an angry mob with, tar, feathers and torches. And you know where it came from? The Directors of the facilities. For the most part the ee's were curious and asked questions but the Leaders of the facilities acted like children. One was upset when it was asked where she got her Rx's and she said Walgreens. Well, Walgreens is the most expensive in our area. She pouted, stating that she didn't care, she liked going there. I wanted to say "you are fat and you smoke, do the math."
OK, so I am venting, but whew! what an ordeal.
I would never say what I was thinking, but honestly, isn't there some way to tell people that being 100 lbs overweight and smoking is just not healthy????

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ugh. Not fun.

Did she behave that way in front of her own employees? If so, she needs to be addressed. She may not LIKE what's happening, but she still needs to behave professionally and demonstrate support of what the company does, including decisions with employee benefits.

I HATE open enrollment. HATE it. Even when we aren't changing anything and the premium increase is not frighteningly high, I hate it.

Did I mention I hate it?

I put blurbs in our employee newsletter, send notices out periodically to be posted on the bulletin board in the staff restroom (the only place they actually READ things) etc about rising insurance costs, impending open enrollment, and people are still surprised. "Why do MY premiums go up when it's OTHER people who have all the medical issues?" I explain the joys of group coverage, and they are welcome to find other coverage and drop ours with open enrollment.

Actually, most employees are pretty nice. There are just the few who I want to hurt.

It's also a paper blizzard around here for at least a month before and after open enrollment. I have my broker looking into online enrollment options right now. I told him I will make him suffer next year if we don't find a better way to do this. x;-)

• Glad to hear I am not the only one.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Venting is good. It gets those body juices pumping.

You guys have it easy. Our broker is also on our Board of Directors. So at renewal time, he gets to "help" us decide on which carrier to go with for insurance benefits. Of course, he doesn't make the presentation until the last week and this year gave me 3 days to get all the enrollments completed and delivered to the new carrier. It took the new company 2 weeks to get us in their system. What a mess.

So, one of your directors is fat and smokes. I don't get it. Why was she upset?

• I say Director, she is a facility Director not on the Board of Directors. She was upset because the 2,000 deductible is upfront and she has to pay that before her insurance covers any claims and that includes pharmacy-which she groused about changing from the expensive Walgreens and going to a cheaper Rx like Wal=Mart. Not changing Rx's but changing shops. It was crazy.
    The upfront deductible is dramatic but to display such unprofessional angst in front of her staff was a bit unsettling for me.
    Benefits changes can be so intense.
    Thanks for sharing.

• I'm happy to know I am not the only one!

I recently did an enrollment of a group that we aquired out of bankruptcy. They had been used to a typical PPO plan with copays. We have a CDHP with an up front deductible also. You would have thought I had just told them they wouldn't have coverage at all. They were very upset.

Of course add to that the fact that we were cutting their PTO bank in half and it was darn near a riot situation!

I don't think that people understand that in some instances with all the copays and coinsurance they can have more out of pocket expense than with a CDHP. They just like the "fixed" costs of copays.

Anyway, now I'm venting. Good Luck!

Ginger
  • There is a way. Start a wellness program.

And as for being the target of criticism, my honest opinion is that it must be part of the job. I think there is a subliminal message somewhere in 'HR' that tells folks to attack. While it is easier said than done, just let it go, take a deep breath, tell yourself that you must be doing a fine job because you still have your job and you'll certainly get at least some of the credit when your company's claims hx drops, and remember that someone in your inner most circles of loved ones loves you.

By the way, in all of my experiences as HR Director in my company, my peers are my biggest challenge.

Best wishes.
  • Thanks to all. I would have to agree with you about the biggest work is the peers.
    Yep, take a breath.
    By the way, give me some ideas on a wellness program. I have subscribed to a health newsletter. Any other suggestions that are cheap or free would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Elizabeth
  • One thing I find helpful is to have a 10-15 minute briefing with the location manager first.
  • Yes, that is an excellent idea. So simple yet so excellent.
  • Regarding your wellness program. The American Cancer society has great tools for helping you set up a wellness program at your company. I'd call the local office, or nearest office or look on the American Society's website.

Good luck!
  • I'm new to this site, so I was just looking thru some posts & yours jumped out at me!
    We are a small company (<50) & went to a HDHP/HSA health option last year. We pushed our broker & provider to let us offer 2 plans (Traditional & HSA). On top of that, we matched HSA contributions 100%, which essentially means we're paying 1/2 of the deductibile - IF they contribute to the HSA account. We actually have about 85% of our employeess choose the HSA plan because of the match. After the 1st year, our renewal was amazing ... +4% for the Traditional premium & -4% (yes, minus) for the HSA premium. Already, we've got a 25% difference between cost of the premiums.
    We obviously went into the switch with a long-term return outlook. We didn't expect to see huge savings right off the bat. BUT, we've obviously "stemmed the bleeding" with our health care costs & we expect another decrease on the HSA plan for next year!
    Obviously, I'm a huge fan of these plans - it just takes a lot of employee education for them to see the light!
  • Hi, Welcome and thanks for the input. Why did you keep the traditional? That was mentioned and we decided we would just make the jump. We have about 100 eligible ee's. Very interesting. We haven't decided on the company doing cross the board matches. Cash flow was a big determining point for the president. Hopefully next year we can contribute. So what you are saying is that you put in money into their HSA account and they can use the whole amount for a tax write off at yearend??? Please let me know how that works and thanks!

• Glad you're getting some good ideas. As for wellness programs, the sky is pretty much the limit. I think with a little research, you'll identify something that will work for your organization. Without having knowledge of your resources, wellness programs at their simplest form offer voluntary opportunities for employees to group together and share some form of support group experience as they work toward a health-related goal, i.e., smoking cessation, weight reduction, normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar levels, etc. There is typically a prescreening process to establish a baseline on whatever will be the subject of the goal, a period of time to allow the process to occur (the diet or the walking or whatever), and a follow up screen to confirm results. The key is to keep program participation voluntary and keep information confidential. The benefits to your company would include positive PR to the employees by their perception of your interest in them at a personal level, potential reduction in claims experience (health & w/c), and worker-level peer pressure as time passes and workers begin to understand the benefit of wellness.

• Thank you, this can be exciting.