Improving New Hire Orientation

We are a small 50 employee organization and our turnover is low (1-2 employees per year). Our CEO has decided that we need to expand the welcome we give to new hires. He would like to see us do a month-long series of events that involve all employees in after-hours social events as well as departmental activities during business hours.

Just wondering if anyone has ideas for such activities? Or possibly comments on his proposal? Thanks!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My comment is that seems like an awful lot for 1-2 employees per year. Is it to integrate them into your culture and help build teamwork? You can't require participation in after-hours social events. (Plus it's been my experience that mandatory fun is never fun for everybody.)

I'm curious on a couple of things. First, what industry are you in? That may help give some perspective. Next, do you know what your CEO's motivation is, or what he hopes to accomplish? Did he read an article somewhere and think it sounded neat?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 04:43PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I agree. If it's not broke, why try to fix it?

I do think it's wonderful your CEO wants to do things like this. Such low turnover really says something about your organization.

Either that, or you work for the mafia and nobody ever quits. They just quietly disappear.

I didn't answer your request for ideas, but it would help to know what you are already doing to welcome new staff. Is there a formal system already in place?
  • We are a bank with branches in three communities, 20 miles between the furthest two. Our orientation involves meeting with HR (me), tours and introductions at the branches, meeting with the supervisor to review policies, etc. The welcoming aspect of the process falls to the departments, which is where the downfall appears to be occurring. The CEO has heard from some of our more recent hires that they didn't feel "welcome." I'm speculating that is more a result of the employees within their department not being friendly to the new hires. With our low turnover, we naturally have employees with long tenures, who may not be as welcoming.

It wasn't that long ago that we were a bank with 5 employees in one location, when you could involve all employees in every function. I'm wondering if improving the welcome at the department level, such as holding a luncheon or breakfast the first week for the department and possibly senior management, would be better than trying to orchestrate an event for the entire organization, which might be rather overwhelming for the new employee during his or her first week of employment. We could then expand to an event at each of the other branches in the following weeks.

Just talking this through has helped me clarify the issue. Any ideas would be appeciated!
  • I'm also in the financial institution field and we do the meeting with HR, the tour, and introductions. We also have a welcome gift given at the meeting with me. It contains a coffee mug, a key chain, an address book, a mouse pad, and pens and pencils. Plus we also do lunch with management on that day. And we do feel that is a great start, but you are right from there it is up to the department or branch to make the new employee feel part of the team. You may want to partner them up with a mentor or buddy at the branch or department level. I also make sure I follow up with the new staff members a couple times within their first month.
    Your CEO is on the right track, but as stated before manditory fun is not fun!!! And after-hour social events may not be the answer. Try activities during work hours. We have done an ice cream social, hot dog roasts, contests and drawings.
    Good Luck!
  • Good reminder about the gifts. Most of our gifts to new hires have run out, they were the old logo and not reordered with our new one, so that is something we can do. We do provide logo shirts for Mondays and Fridays, however. We have designated buddys within the departments but should probably reexamine that process as they may be more work oriented and less of a mentor. Thanks for the ideas, drehil!
  • Another small bank with 4 branches. We do all the same stuff, but I also take the new ee out to lunch on the first day (I send them a welcome letter before the first day and tell them about the lunch, where to report, etc.). I also ask the neww ee's direct supervisor and a co-worker, if possible, to join us. Sometimes we can't let 2 people go at the same time, and often the supevisor allows the other ee to go to lunch since the supervisor gets to go to many lunches. If the new ee was referred by a current employee, I always ask that person to our lunch. It really helps the new ee feel welcome.
  • Teaming the new employee up with a 'buddy' from the department for the first 30 days may be an option. The buddy answers questions and basically looks out for the new employee. the buddy may receive a special compensation bonus for providing the new employee assistance.
  • We assign two mentors to each new Staff member, and the mentors (one or both or separately) take the new Staff Member out to lunch. The mentors usually are good to check in with the new people to see how they're doing. Someone from HR does this as well.

Our people generally go out of their way to help new folks feel at home. It's the number one positive feedback item we receive from new staff. People are so busy these days, that after-hours social events would be hard to do here.

HR Hat
  • These are all great ideas! Thanks so much for the input.