USERRA and Health Insurance

I'm confused on the wording in USERRA with regard to health insurance while on active duty. We have a truck driver who is headed off to Iraq for a year. USERRA says he has the right to continue his coverage for 24 months...does that mean that we have to continue paying our portion of his insurance or does that simply give him the option of paying the full cost himself should he wish to keep it sort of like extended COBRA?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Looks like you haven't had a response to your question. It's been a while, and not sure you are still looking, but in case you are:

The 24-month period would be for the Cobra period--extending from 18 months otherwise. If you have a TPA for Cobra, your notice to the TPA should include that the qualifying event is dispatch to active military service. If you are administering yourself, treat the situation like the 18-month Cobra, except ammend the verbiage appropriately.

• Thank you. I actually had gotten responses, I'm not sure how or why they would ahve been erased from the thread, but I appreciate your input.