Ex-spouse Coverage.

Our group health plan allows an ex-spouse to stay on the coverage with a court order. July 1 we switched dental plans to a new carrier. I just learned that ex-spouses are not eligible for dental coverage even with a court order. Now I need to meet with our covered employee and let him know that he needs to get dental coverage outside of the group.

How does your group health and dental handle ex-spouse's coverage? Yes? No? Just don't report it?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So, if I understand the post, the ex-spouse is covered just like if they were still married? It is not a COBRA situation? I haven't heard of that. I have dealt with the employee having to pay for the ex-spouse's COBRA premiums. I look forward to what others have to say.

~Kim
  • I am not sure what the real issue is here. If the plan does not allow the ee to cover his ex-wife, even with a court order, then why does the ee have to get coverage outside of the group? I would let him know that the new carrier does not recognize providing insurance to ex-wives, even with a court order, and that he and his ex need to determine how to handle her coverage. If this is part of the divorce agreement, give him a letter stating that the carrier does not allow this arrangement and that should allow him time to figure something out. I see no reason to deny him coverage or get involved in the situation further than communicating the change in the coverage options.
  • The absence of being required to offer COBRA type continuation for the spouse is likely due to this being a very small employer (<20 ee's), or a church plan. If that's the case, then the insurance carrier does not have to offer COBRA to the spouse and he/she goes to the open market for health insurance coverage.
  • Ex-spouses of our employees would be eligible for COBRA. They do not have the option of staying on our health plan once they become an ex. I too think that if the plan does not allow exes to stay on, the employee and ex will have to look elsewhere and perhaps the employee will have to pay the premium for the ex if there is a court order.
  • Yes, I understand all that abut COBRA. I'm merely stating that on our prior plan, ex-spouses were eligible to stay on the plan as long as the employee produced a court order that ordered the employee to continue the coverage. That was our specific plan. Now that we've changed dental plans, our new plan does not allow ex-spouses to stay on, regardless of a court order. Yes, the spouse can be COBRA'd and, to comply with the court order, the employee would have to pay for it or find another plan.

My survey question was to learn how other firms handle the coverage for ex-spouses.

Survey says: "COBRA"

Thanx to all for your input!
  • The court order probably mandates that the ex spouse has to provide insurance coverage, but doesn't mandate that the company would have to comply if it is not their policy to allow ex-spouses to be on the plan. This would be covered under COBRA or another alternative policy.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-25-05 AT 09:59AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Ex-spouses are not covered under any of the plans. There is, of course, coverage under COBRA. Here, courts and/or divorce settlements can order ex-spouses to provide the coverage but not the employer.
  • This is a new one for me. I have never heard of a policy where "X's" can stay covered under the "regular' policy with or without a court order. Normally the court order just says that the other spouse has to pay for the coverage. It is then up to the other spouse to write the check. Often the x spouse is responsible for actually locating the coverage (as long as it is "similar" to what was provided previously.
    I can't image having to keep up with "x spouses". What a benefit for that employee. Keeping up with children over 19 is bad enough.
    E Wart
  • The Ex-spouse has to come off our plan and if they wish to continue coverage do so on COBRA. The change to your dental - might be a good reason to make a change to your medical. If you are self-insured - they could cost you quite a bit of money.